Bowed Mast

mchavis

I have a Capri 14.2 (S/N 1461). I've had it for about 10 years, but have not sailed it very much since moving from the coast. I was getting it ready for sailing this summer and noticed the mast has a bow. It starts about the spreaders. It's can be seen in the photo's attached. Is this a design in the mast, or should I get it straightened?

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

Looks bent to me but it's hard to say how much or how it would affect the mainsail. I suspect you'll have a luff around the your spreaders that even the stiffest breeze won't pull out.

If they can't straighten it at your local sailboat shop, you might try a body shop.

Good luck!
Jim

Straightening Your Rig.

The mast section on the Capri 14 is pretty thick and heavy relative to many other dinghy classes. Your mast should not be bent like it is. It should be perfectly straight. Most classes in fact prohibit a permanent bend in the mast.

To straighten your rig you'll want a sawhorse with some padding on it- a few layers of carpet works well and about 3 friends. Try to sight down the mast and really figure out where the actual bend is. Put the center of the bend over the sawhorse and start slowly pushing the bend out- working away from the center. Go easy on things and try to fair the curve. This rig doesn't appear to be bent too badly. But go easy on things. It helps to have someone sighting the mast while 2 others are pushing on the rig.- Good luck- Keep an eye out for cracks and don't go too hard.

Bent Mast and Question for YOU!

I have an older boat and my mast is straight as an arrow. Hmmm. looks like it shouldnt be bent.

Do you have a retractable centerboard? If you do and you have it handy, could you tell me the diameter of the pivot hole, where the centerboard mounts to the metal plates?

I am having plates made with a metal shop and I dont have the board with me!

thanks, daniel
[email protected]

Back