bow line?

emocean2

is there a rule that says all lasers have to have a bow line?
if so does it have to be a certain length

im pretty sure its not necessary, no one on my team has ever used one and i dont think my coach uses one either; it will only get in your way... but thats just a guess.

also when you need a bowline you can use ur main sheet; take it out of the blocks and tie it around your mast and give the other end to whoever is towing you

also when you need a bowline you can use ur main sheet; take it out of the blocks and tie it around your mast and give the other end to whoever is towing you

I'm sorry, I am new and maybe wrong, but do you think that they are asking for a painter? A tow line?

Let me know, I love these terminology thingys.

I think we may be right. There is a list of things that you must have at all times. Let's see if I can do this from memory.

Bailer
Oar
Whistle
Painter

Darn, for some reason I think there should be five.

Maybe for racing a painter is not needed?

I think we may be right. There is a list of things that you must have at all times. Let's see if I can do this from memory.

Bailer
Oar
Whistle
Painter

Darn, for some reason I think there should be five.

Maybe for racing a painter is not needed?
im pretty sure none of those thing are "mandatory" but some are recommended. Bringing an oar on your boat will just get in your way, if ur not moving you can pump your boat

It will all depend where you are. This type of equipment comes under the state, province, national safety equipment requirements, potentially even club requirements and not under Laser Class rules. Having said that, unless that safety equipment is mandatory, it's likely to be illegal on a laser. Your best finding out this info from your sailing bodies, rather than the class. What applies in one district or even part of a district may not apply in another.

Organizers often put a requirement for a bow-line or painter of a certain minimum length and diameter into the sailing instructions.

This is particularly true if they expect to have to tow the boats for convenience or safety reasons.

Organizers often put a requirement for a bow-line or painter of a certain minimum length and diameter into the sailing instructions.

This is particularly true if they expect to have to tow the boats for convenience or safety reasons.

I still don't carry a bit of rope to purely be a bow line - my mainsheet is my tow rope if needed.

In my experience, the SI's usually state if you need a tow line, and if you do need one, it can usually be part of your rigging (i.e mainsheet) I have, however been to one regatta (Canadian Youth Champs) where it specified that the towline could not be part of the running rigging (i.e. Mainsheet :-P )

I have seen that also in SIs. I believe at San Diego Yacht Club, where the tow to the (ocean) course is a long way out. In fact, my boat had a bundle of polypro wrapped up in the bottom of the fat bag for just that reason when I bought it. It doesn't really get in my way there (I only recently took it out), doesn't soak up water, and really doesn't weight anything. Most of all, if I need it, I don't have to worry about having a string of boats hanging on my mainsheet in ocean waves.

Back