Bought a 'new' Laser ... what's the sail # & mfgr date??

Johnny B

Bought a "well-used" Laser, with serial number:

ZFS5375790576 ... others have ID'd "ZFS" as Les Voiliers Performance Inc. of Pointe Claire QC

Don't know the sail #, or the date of manufacture - assuming it's May of 1976?

The '0' next to the 5 is a 0, not a 'D' as best as I can make it out. Any help/tips would be
wonderful. Thanks.

Also, is the Laser Sail quoted for $145 a Class-legal sale, or a practice sail ... and is it the same cut and size, but of a different
cloth?

ZFS5375790576
There's one digit too many there. I suspect that the first "5" is that one, which would mean the sail/hull number is 37579. As you've already found out, the builder is Performance Sailcraft (that's its better-known, English name) of Montreal (or Pointe-Claire to be exact, yeah, but same island :D ), and the building month is May 1976.

is the Laser Sail quoted for $145 a Class-legal sale, or a practice sail ... and is it the same cut and size, but of a different
cloth?
If that's the price of a new sail, then it's very cheap and very fake. The cut would probably be a close copy of the original, but the cloth could be anything.

Post pictures of both the code and the sail if you want to be sure.

_

There's one digit too many there. I suspect that the first "5" is that one, which would mean the sail/hull number is 37579. As you've already found out, the builder is Performance Sailcraft (that's its better-known, English name) of Montreal (or Pointe-Claire to be exact, yeah, but same island :D ), and the building month is May 1976.

If that's the price of a new sail, then it's very cheap and very fake. The cut would probably be a close copy of the original, but the cloth could be anything.

Post pictures of both the code and the sail if you want to be sure.

_

Laki:

Thanks for your expertise. You're right ... I put an extra '5' in it: ZFS375790576 would conform to your explanation.
Also, here's the URL/Web address for the sail I found:
the description is: "VST Laser Mark II Racing Sail (battens included) Non-laser legal, with a quoted price of $150.00.
Sail cloth utilized is unspecified ... or, at least I couldn't find it.
The boat seems to have been a College fleet boat, with a sail # of LYC-6 (Blue). It's a rag, but I don't have the $$ to buy a new
one at ~ $600.00. Any thoughts? Are there "good" used ones w/battens around?
Thanks for your help!
'Johnny B'

VST Laser Mark II Racing Sail (battens included) Non-laser legal
Never heard about "VST" before, but that looks like a super-cheap own-brand product. Who knows what it's made of and by whom.
In general, that sail page is confusing. I've recommended Vela to people (especially Texans!) in the past, but this doesn't look good.

Are there "good" used ones w/battens around?
Top sailors usually have lots of relatively little-used sails, but they're rarely very active marketing them. I would normally recommend asking the people in charge of your district, but your national Laser website seems to be under construction as there are no contacts to be found. Your best bet might be posting a "sail wanted" ad on this forum, and of course regularly checking what's for sale here.
Battens are a separate piece of equipment in the Laser, but a new set shouldn't bankrupt anyone.

Ludington Yacht Club?

_

You can always try Intensity sails, (LaLi's favorite ;)) they make a practice sail for around $150 made from Dacron, same MKII cut, and I think it comes with battens.

Back