Bought a new (1991) Capri 14.2

no4j

Was undecided between the Capri 14.2 and the American Sail 14.6. (See thread here).
Got a hitch put on my car yesterday, the wife and I drove 181 miles to look at a Capri 14.2. After a long and thoughtful inspection and a trip to Walmart to get some strapping, chain, and wiring bought it w/trailer and drove it home. Got home at 2:00 AM.

My first experience hauling a trailer in 30 years. Everything went fine.

Now I am up already, cancelled golf, and I'm ready to spend the day figuring out all the rigging and doing some trailer sailing in the driveway. Never owned a boat and haven't sailed in 30 years.

I am a happy sailor!! :)

BTW, my older brother and I were the Florida state champs in the Windmill class around 1964ish. Not sure about the exact year. Been a while. But this boat is for my wife and I to enjoy some nice day sailing on some beautiful lakes here in the Ocala, FL area.

Dave

Dave, congratulations on a good find, sounds like you've got yourself a nice Mod 2.

Welcome to the Capri 14.2 fleet and looking forward to hearing about your experiences and seeing some pictures!

Spent the morning rigging and getting familiar with my new baby. What a nice boat! Simplicity seems to be the word of the day. Stepping the mast up was a cinch. Love it!

Here's a link to a pic my wife (Barby) took this morning.

http://daveandbarby.com/images/my_baby_small.jpg

We are ready to sail as soon as I get life jackets and a paddle.

One issue we have is the jib sheet guides are missing. The cleats are there but no guides. So the sheet will not stay in the cleat when the jib pulls. That's got to be fixed or my wife will get tired very quickly. Other than that. Perfect!

Dave

Does anyone know where I could get the sheet guide and screws for the jib car set instead of buying the entire assembly?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, she's real pretty, don't forget to check all your screws for tightness and there are quite a few of them.

For the sheet guides/fairleads, I'm sure I've seem these as a separate piece at my local marine supply store, hope you're able to find something!

Beautiful C14! I like the sail colors. You can get the whole jib car set-up from Catalina Direct (www.catalinadirect.com) but they're $97 and more than you need. Might be able to find something that works for the fairleads from West Marine or some similar place.

Back