What's new

Bottom of mast tube is chipped

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
For starters, just fill the tube with water and see it there's a leak. If not, rejoice. Maybe insert a plastic disk to prevent future trouble.

As an aside, such damage should not have happened. Did you not have cap on the mast bottom?

Tucker2

I just bought this used and am finding a few travesties. I did fill with water and so far no leak so yeah. Mostly checking to see if theres a preventative for future damage. The mast does have a cap. Like the disc idea what wiuld you use? Thanks

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
For the disk, just cut an appropriately sized circle from a piece of plastic.

Also, remove the garbage accumulated, I think, on the bottom of the tube.

LaLi

The discs made for the Laser don't fit in the Sunfish mast step. I'm not sure that a disc in general is even legal in the Sunfish.

If the step doesn't leak, there's no problem to solve.

_

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
I used a disk (home made) for a while, but the problem is that water accumulates under the disk from sailing in waves etc. which may lead to other problems, if not removed.

L&VW

The discs made for the Laser don't fit in the Sunfish mast step. I'm not sure that a disc in general is even legal in the Sunfish.

If the step doesn't leak, there's no problem to solve.
There are many sizes at Google: Hobie sells a bunch.

One can be ground/cut down to fit the Sunfish.

A Teflon disk might even ease raising the sail, as the mast is allowed to turn readily for the mast's top to meet-up with the hitch at the upper spar.