Bottleport fits Ronstan Inspection Ports (pics)

hdco1313

I designed the Bottleport to be an exact fit to the Viking 5" inspection port, so I was surprised to find out that it also fits perfectly in the Ronstan 5" inspection port (#PNP97). You'd think that all the ports would be different, but the Ronstan has the same threads, diameter, O-ring placement, etc as the Viking port. This is good news for people who want a Bottleport but live somewhere that the Ronstan port is popular (which is not here as far as I can tell). Check it out (Ronstan is white):

396326900_KpMet-M.jpg

396326917_P88WU-L.jpg

I'm a fan of most of the Ronstan gear but I have to say that compared to the Viking port, this one is kind of flimsy. Note also that it doesn't have the lip to hold the Fat Bag.

Here's the original Bottleport thread: http://www.laserforum.org/bottleport-here-t10272.html

Thanks for reading,

Greg Little
[email protected]
www.bottleport.com

Thanks Ryan! It's funny how when I show it to people who sail Lasers etc they get quite excited but the people who don't are usually a little bemused at my enthusiasm and respond with some version of "congratulations on your...uhhh...cup holder."

Greg,

Do you know if your bottleport works with a nairn 5" inspection port? I also notice that the bottleport is grey, do you have a white version?

Thanks in advance.

George

Hi George,

I hadn't heard of the Nairn before and just looked it up online. It looks identical to the Viking and the Ronstan.

Before discovering that the Ronstan fits I would have said the Nairn won't fit because I assumed that each manufacturer's ports are different (and some are...Beckson, for instance). But it seems that there is some standardization going on and it does look like the Nairn is another one that will work.

That would be great news and I would love to know for sure. Do you have the Nairn on your boat already?

If you wanted to buy it and try it out, I could just refund the money if it doesn't work. Postage isn't that bad...US$21. Or, what about this...why don't I just send it to you on me and you can paypal the money to me if it works?

Also, Australia is such a huge market and I've been looking for more information about it. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions I'd really appreciate it. If so, email me at [email protected]. So great down there...I spent 8 months in my 20s surfing on the east coast and doing odd jobs (like pulling beers at the Bondi Tram). It was just fantastic.

Thanks,

Greg Little

Did anyone ever determine whether the Nairn inspection port works with the Bottle Port? How about the Fat Bag? I’ve ordered a pair of the Bottle Ports, but I still need sources for the compatible inspection ports and Fat Bags.

I doubt if anyone will arrest me. I’ve got half a dozen illegal parts on my boat, but I only compete in informal races where no one cares. Nothing that I’ve done will affect the speed of the boat, and that’s all anyone I sail with might object to, and even then they probably wouldn’t mind. Thanks for mentioning though!

The fact this may not be legal is something that bugs me about Lasers. Lots of expensive stuff like carbon top sections and upgraded vangs (which I love BTW) are legal, but an easy, cheap way to hold a water bottle isn’t.
They might be a good idea etc.. Blame the person who designed them. They were not willing to approach the ILCA

They might be a good idea etc.. Blame the person who designed them. They were not willing to approach the ILCA
I am not meaning to be snarky with this response, but my response is directed at ILCA as a whole. While bottle port didn’t approach ILCA, , I find it hard to believe, for example, that manufacturers of bags to mount below inspection ports approached ILCA to make them legal, or the manufacturers of clips and bags for storage on the deck approached ILCA, or the manufacturers of padded hiking straps approached ILCA. I suspect ILCA decided those were good ideas and approved them without manufacturer input or request. I think I recall when clew tie-down straps were approved as an option to line, and strap makers were not involved. So I am not clear on why Bottleport had to approach ILCA.

I’d sure like to know the part number of the original Viking Inspection Ports that were compatible with the Bottle Port. I just ordered some black ABS new old stock ports from Fogh Marine in Canada. These are VIK1102 Viking 5” inspection ports. As I understand it, there were two easily confused Viking inspection Ports available, one of which worked, and the other which didn’t. I hope that I’ve ordered the correct one. I understand that the Ronstan PNP97 works, but I haven’t been able to find out whether it is compatible with the Fat Bag VIK1117.

It has been made clear to me that the ABS Viking ports are not a good fit with the Bottle Port. The ones that work are marked on the underside of the cover “Polyethylene 5”. Unfortunately, the only ones of those that I’ve been able to find don’t have the lip for the bag. I ordered a pair on ebay, but I’d much rather get the ones with the lip for the bag if they can be found.

I’ve been told by an Australian distributor that the Naim 5” port is not the same thread as the Ronstan PNP97. I haven’t personally confirmed that, but I wouldn’t suggest ordering a Naim port to use with the Bottle Port. So far as I can determine, the Ronstan PNP97 is the only currently distributed port that works. Viking 5” Polypropylene ports do work (ABS Viking ports do not), but are no longer distributed. Some of the Viking Polypropylene ports have the lip for the Fat Bag, and some do not. If anyone has a lead on a pair of old stock Viking 5” Polypropylene Inspection Ports with the lip/ledge/flange that supports the Fat Bag, I’d be most appreciative of an opportunity to buy some. By the way, The Dinghy Shop has Bottle Ports currently in stock.

Why wouldn't be legal? Inspection ports are legal and in fact require a threaded cover, which is what the bottleport is. It's not a modification to the hull itself (the inspection port is). I've used mine in regattas held under class rules and haven't been protested, but also keep the standard cover in my race bag in case a measure decides to be a pain

Why wouldn't be legal? Inspection ports are legal and in fact require a threaded cover, which is what the bottleport is. It's not a modification to the hull itself (the inspection port is). I've used mine in regattas held under class rules and haven't been protested, but also keep the standard cover in my race bag in case a measure decides to be a pain
Re-read the original Bottleport thread and the class rules.

If it was being reviewed 12 years ago why was it never allowed or voted on!
Apparently no one has considered it important enough to push forward. It's what easily happens with "small", non-essential things like this.

Personally, I wouldn't get a (legal) Bottleport for the simple fact that it lacks drainage. Not that it would increase weight noticeably, but it would be just plain annoying to have a bucket of water onboard.

_

Personally, I wouldn't get a (legal) Bottleport for the simple fact that it lacks drainage. Not that it would increase weight noticeably, but it would be just plain annoying to have a bucket of water onboard.
_
The key to solving that would be to put a bottle of drinking water in the bottleport. If you don’t take water with you, then you wouldn’t need the bottleport in the first place.

The key to solving that would be to put a bottle of drinking water in the bottleport.
:rolleyes: I meant that there'd be water in the "bucket" even when there's a bottle in there, too... not a significant amount, and a lot less than in the cockpit in the conditions in which it would fill, but still. I just don't find the Bottleport that brilliant a concept, and apparently neither do enough others as its approval hasn't moved on for ages.

_

Back