Boot Choices

TimClark

Well, I need to get new boots for the summer and I have narrowed it down to the following and wanted some other peoples' opinions on the boots.

1. Maramu Aigle-I like the boots and have heard good things about them but I don't know if they are good for straight toe hiking.
2. Rooster Ankle Boot-These boots seem like they would be really good for a Laser and straight toe hiking
3. Helly Hansen Shorehike Breathe-These are new boots, they look pretty "advanced" but the features on them seem nice, mesh sides and draining footbed, and they look flexible in the places where it needs to flex.

Any other ideas of boots to get would be good to, but I'm not getting the Gills so don't even say it.

I highly recomend the Aigle Bora boot.

It is really nice becauses it has a neoprene liner on the inside of the waterproof outer layer. These are nice because the boots rarely get wet on the inside, as opposed to the only neoprene boots, which always get wet when you go out, so you spend half your time trying to dry them for the next regatta. The neoprene liner is nice because it keeps your feet warm, without having to wear socks, like the Aigle Maramu boots.

The only problem with the Aigle Bora boots is the zipper. There is no strap bellow the zipper, so when you are sailing the zipper tends to ride down, and the result is that you are trying to reach down to zip them back up a couple times a day. But this can be solved by wrapping a piece of electrical tape around them.

The thing is about the Bora is, I am only getting boots for summer sailing, so I don't really need the neoprene because I won't be getting cold. I have my neoprene boots for frostbiting. For the Maramu, do you mean that the lining irritates the foot and requires wearing a sock, or are you talking about colder weather? Thanks for the info.

I know some people who have the Marmaru, I have never worn it, but the inside is just pure rubber (i think), so that would probably be a little irritating.

What I am thinking is, I could get a Maramu, then put in a thin neoprene sock as a liner and it would be just as effective as the Bora, but wouldn't have the zipper hassle. Thanks for the info. Anybody else? How does the Maramu work in straight toe hiking?

Tim

get the Gill boots, good for all seasons, and you can straight leg hike in em, i love em

I have the gills, and I personally think they suck. First, they are hot as hell during the summer, they are flexible in some places that is needed, but other places is not. So, anybody else have advice with the listed boots or have any other ideas.

Tim

yea, they are hot as hell in the summer, and they stink like a monkeys ass, but i deal with it, i also wear these booties by magic marine, they just go up to the ankle, and htere pretty good, where do you live tim?

CT, but last summer was really bad up here. Everyday included the following, no wind, humidity like no other, and buttloads of jellyfish so they boots really started to stink and heat up.

yea, in Southern California, it can get bad too, just plain hot and not much wind, very stinky, try the booties from magic marine, there pretty nice

I've seen them, and the Rooster Booties look really well designed for hiking but not caused overheating. Thanks for the info though.

Tim

i love the rooster stuff, beleive me, half my gear is rooster, but for some reason, the boots dont do it for me, i just dont like the straps over the arch of the foot, cuz if you tire out after a day, and you hike there, or even if you usually hike there, you have a stap there, so yea

The thing is for me though, those straps aren't any wear close to where my feet are on the hiking strap. My tippy-toes are normally whats holding me in, when I tire out I move to about 1-2 inches further back. But to each his own, eh?

I'd go for the Zhik boots. Look at this.
voorko1.jpg

Please note that this works out best with the Zhik hiking strap.
http://www.zhik.com

My boots have a ripple sole and have loads of grip. Only problem is they aren't best for hiking, the strap really cuts onto my foot. The Zhik sounds good to me. The helly hansen's are a bit uppish on the price front is that true?

Xtremity boots for me. I use their beach slipper ones all year round. Really grippy around the toes and not clumpy like the Aigles. I also have some Rooster boots, but find them too bulky. They are however very grippy.

I'd go for boots with zippers. I dive and from experience boots with zippers are a lot easier to get on and off, especially when wet. You can also layer better with boots with zippers.

I guess you should not really listen to me because i dotn know all too much about boots. I mean, once upon a time i never used to wear them, but then i saw someone dislocate a few toes in the self bailer (not a pretty site). My boots have zippers, they're a tiny bit big but they tend to be nice and easy to slip off after a hard days racing.

I have experience with Aigle Maramu and the HH Shorehike (neoprene) boots. As you suggested, I wear a pair of O'Neill neoprene booties inside the Aigles to help keep my feet warm but also to fill up the air space so they boots won't collect a lot of water (they are heavy enough!). The best thing about the Aigles, I think, is that they can be laced up tight on your foot so there is no possibility of coming off. And they have nothing to grab onto the mainsheet on those windy days.

I like the HH boots a lot, they are much lighter than the Aigles, really comfortable to wear, have a tough sole and a good upper surface for hiking. Unfortunately, they also run a zipper right up the top of the boot which can start to unzip while hiking (because your feet get extended straight out - the boot flexes in a manner that works the zipper). And, worse, when its really windy the velcro straps have a bad habit of grabbing a hold of the mainsheet. I've had a couple of interesting weather mark roundings, that is for sure!

So... for me, I've decided to use the Aigles in lighter air (under 10 knots) and the Aigles in windy events (or cold weather).

Tracy

I've tried a few and at the moment my favourites are the Magic Marine tx5 boots. No zips, so a bit hard to get on and off, but really comfy on and off the beach, and feel good under a padded toestrap.

BTW, I work in a chandlery but we dont sell them, so I buy my boots from the competition! lol!

Well, I have decided to go with the Zhik boots and the Zhik Hiking strap...It sounds like a good system that is worth giving a try. Except, I don't know what boots to get. I was thinking about the Max Support 400 Boot, however I am worrying that the Zhik material doesn't go down far enough on the toe. So I was also considering the Ankle Boot 100 because the material goes all the way down to the toe, and it is a reasonable price. However, I am worried that it won't give me enough support. Any opinions from those few people that have used the boots or ankle boots in general would be awesome. Thanks.

There has to have been somebody that has sailed with ankle boots before...Please any advice is wanted on Ankle Boots/Zhik Hiking boot question.

What are 'ankle boots' anyway? I'd go for the zhiks anyway,1. they're aussie 2. they look good and 3. they sound like a good boot

If 'ankle boots' are those which don't come up over your ankle bone, but stop below then I use them. I have not had any problems and find they protect my feet (I would rather sail barefoot) without being cumbersome . The only bit they don't protect is when you are in medium conditions in and out of the toe strap. When you are like this and not wearing long leggings, the toe strap can irritate the top of your ankle. But if you have tough skin, strong ligaments, then ankle booties should be just fine.

Ankle boots are what Sarah described they go up to right below the ankle bone. I am wondering if I shoul get the Ankle Zhik boots or the Max Support Zhik boots.

If you are still considering at this point, my two cents are to go for the Aigle Maramu. Best sailing boot money can buy. I have a pair and they are amazing. You can put a wet-suit sock in when it gets cold and they're very warm, or nothing when the water is warmer or you don't plan on getting water over the top eyelet. Also, the hiking support and grip are phenomenal. Just make sure you get the right size! Probably better to err on the smaller side as they seem to fit a bit big. Anyways, good luck with whatever you pick.

Hi, I know I may be abit out. Just want to share with all that I am not using the normal sailing boot.
Instead, I am using watershoes from Adidas. Ankles are exposed so it forces you to hike from your toes.... A very simple slip-on shoes, no zip, no extra paddings... but offer a comfortable foot grip

Due to how backed up the Zhiks are/going to be, I decided to go with the Maramu's...Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

get the aigle marramu's. I use a zihk hiking strap and they stick to it good. my first real hiking boots were the plastic Gill ones with no neoprene in them and i wore those down hardcore..but they were also discontinued so i couldn't get new ones. i wanted new ones but the neoprene ones have NO support whatsoever. so i ordered the aigle maramus and their killer.

Hey guys
Personally my fav choice would have to be the zhik strap with the zhik 200 boots. But I know lots of my mates hate wearing boots. Luckily for them zhik has come up with some pretty wicked boot-like apparel for them to wear
Boots.jpg
. Have a look
Also Zhik has all their new product range just released today. Check it out.

Hope it helped
Cheers
Salty

Back