boomkickers

Seeking information from those who have them or have used them.

To me, the lack of a topping lift is the single thing that makes rigging the Capri more difficult/annoying/frustrating/potentially-bruise-inducing than anything else. A boomkicker seems like a great solution. So I'm wondering:

- Which model do you use?
- How easy/difficult was it to install?
- How difficult/easy is it to use when rigging-rerigging? IE, do you ave to take it fully apart, does it snap easily back into place, etc? What's the degree of difficulty for those of us who trailer and have to take down the whole rig every time?
- What do you like and not like about it?
- What would you do differently?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I like cheap, and don't use a boomkicker... I use a make-shift topping lift. A shoe-string diameter line strung from a tiny hole drilled at the top of the mast (above the sheave), tied off at the halyard cleat when the mast is on the cradle, and tied to the end of the boom when sailing.

If they length is right, then forward momentum of the boat, will cause the line to bow into the shape of the sail (outside the roach). Also when you drop the sail, the boom will drop, but only like 6 inches.

I like the topping lift more than a boom kicker, because I dry sail my capri (don't we all?). Anyway, messing with setting up a boom kicker every time, and then getting the vang right, sounds like a major hassle to me.

Plus, boom kicker is $$$ my shoe string line was like $4.

Well, I can honestly say that I can't imagine an easier accessory to install or use.

I got the model 312 from Trailer Sailor where I found it the cheapest:

http://shop.trailersailor.com/detail-bk.htm?fno=300&group=394&step=2&bnd=Catalina

...and after simply sliding it into the track on the mast and tightening one screw on the rod and one screw on the slide for the supporting rope, I haven't touched it since. It just stays on the mast and folds up out of the way when I put it in the cradle for trailering.

Using it couldn't be easier - when I put on the boom it just sits on the top of the boomkicker and that's all there is to it... nothing to install or adjust.

I certainly recommend it if you'd like to keep the boom out of your way. About as simple to use as anything could possibly be.

Here is a rather large picture in case you'd like to see any detail:

DSCF0680.JPG

Back