Boomkicker Installation

cjdavia

For those interested in installing a boomkicker - my wife and I just installed model K0312 on our 1st generation 14.2. The boomkicker manufacturer site was http://www.boomkicker.com, but we purchased the same model from layline (http://www.layline.com).

Installation was a breeze, but I wanted to group to know that in order for it to fit properly (to the inside of the boom vang) we had to cut the support rods down 1.5 inches (for a total of 28.5 inches) with a hacksaw. A nice hint is to wrap tape around the rods where you are gong to cut, this will help reduce splintering. The tape goes on before you use the saw. I misread the instructions and thought the tape should be applied afterwards.

I was a little concerned that my trimming would affect its strength, but during dry-rigging the boomkicker had no problem holding our boom and sail.

Now we can't wait to try it out in the water. The sails and boom would always get in our way when we had to paddle back to the dock.

Enjoy your new boomkicker!

My wife and I recently put one on our Catalina 16.5. We opted for the model one step up from the one you got but probably didn't need to. However, we still didn't have to drill. Yay! We did have to cut the rods as well. Ours came with two different diameter rods. The smaller diameter was PLENTY firm enough.

I told my buddy down in Dallas how we loved our boomkicker and he immediately put one on his 14.2 as well. Loves it. It even holds up his sail and sailcover with it. (He leaves his outside). Enjoy!

Happy Sailing.

Les & Iris
Sailing Catalina 16.5 ANTSY
on Texoma in OkieLand :)

Quick followup

Hi everyone,

We just got back from Carters lake in Georgia and I wanted to tell everyone that the boomkicker performed without a hitch. My wife and I were able to easily drop and bungee the sail to start paddling toward the dock.

Unfortunately we were paddling against the current and we were not getting anywhere. So we raised the sail, got a bit closer, and had a second opportunity to test out the boomkicker. Mr. Boomkicker came through again, but my score for pleasurable returns to the dock is now oh-for-three.

It looks like my next investment will need to be a small trolling motor... or a divorce attorney!

cjdavia said:
Hi everyone,

We just got back from Carters lake in Georgia and I wanted to tell everyone that the boomkicker performed without a hitch. My wife and I were able to easily drop and bungee the sail to start paddling toward the dock.

Unfortunately we were paddling against the current and we were not getting anywhere. So we raised the sail, got a bit closer, and had a second opportunity to test out the boomkicker. Mr. Boomkicker came through again, but my score for pleasurable returns to the dock is now oh-for-three.

It looks like my next investment will need to be a small trolling motor... or a divorce attorney!
Motors are nice ;)

BoomKicker Arrived Today!

cjdavia said:
For those interested in installing a boomkicker - my wife and I just installed model K0312 on our 1st generation 14.2. The boomkicker manufacturer site was http://www.boomkicker.com, but we purchased the same model from layline (http://www.layline.com).

Installation was a breeze, but I wanted to group to know that in order for it to fit properly (to the inside of the boom vang) we had to cut the support rods down 1.5 inches (for a total of 28.5 inches) with a hacksaw. A nice hint is to wrap tape around the rods where you are gong to cut, this will help reduce splintering. The tape goes on before you use the saw. I misread the instructions and thought the tape should be applied afterwards.

I was a little concerned that my trimming would affect its strength, but during dry-rigging the boomkicker had no problem holding our boom and sail.

Now we can't wait to try it out in the water. The sails and boom would always get in our way when we had to paddle back to the dock.

Hey Chris!
I did not realize that it was your post and recommendation that prompted me to order a BoomKicker from Layline until I went back to read it again this evening. It sure looks simple enough. The topping lift that I rigged is a pain in the scuppers! I hope to find the time to install it this week. Any further advice before I proceed?
Thanks!

Hi Chris R,

What a small world. It seems like we have been on the same path with our boat improvements. Other than what I posted earlier, installation was a snap.

I just noticed that there is a new design for the boomkicker, so I am not sure if you will still need to cut down the rods. I had to take off about 1.5 inches. Good luck!

-Chris Davia

Boom Kicker

Hey Chris!
I have it installed and I too needed to cut an inch and a half off the rods for the best fit. Not sure what the "improvement" is other than there is just one set of rods included instead of two. It works great! Thanks for your guidance.

Boomkicker Install

Installed a Boomkicker K0312 from Layline, two weeks ago, on my 1989 2nd Generation Capri 14.2.

This is an excellent piece of equipment. Highly adjustable and does an excellent job holding up the boom while motoring, or while setting up and taking down the main sail.

The concept is simple, the Boomkicker rods support the downward load of the boom, and your existing Boom vang holds the boom down from the upward force on the boom when under sail. The two are adjusted to balance eachother, and the boom stays right where it should, perpendicular to your mast.

I would recommend it particularly for those who leave the boat rigged and ready to sail, because it allows you to put your sail cover over the main and have the boom sit at 90 degrees to the mast when tied up to the mooring or dock.

- Nereid

Boomkicker on Omega 14

I installed the boomkicker on my Omega 14--without modifications. According to Boomkicker, the first unit was designed for the 14.2 but maybe they meant the Omega. Anyway, it works as great as others have attested to.

I've also installed slugs and slides on the mainsail on 19" spacing. I used the shackles from Sail Brite that don't require grommets. The shackle hank snugs up against the bolt rope, which nicely distributes the stress. Avoiding grommets means you can easily go back to the bolt rope groove for racing.

Can you help me find a source for the described shackles?

vomega said:
I installed the boomkicker on my Omega 14--without modifications. According to Boomkicker, the first unit was designed for the 14.2 but maybe they meant the Omega. Anyway, it works as great as others have attested to.

I've also installed slugs and slides on the mainsail on 19" spacing. I used the shackles from Sail Brite that don't require grommets. The shackle hank snugs up against the bolt rope, which nicely distributes the stress. Avoiding grommets means you can easily go back to the bolt rope groove for racing.

Where did you find the shackles you are describing? I have searched the internet and have not been successful in getting a lead on them. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris...

You can order from Sail Rite by phone (260) 693-2242 or internet www. sailrite.com. Ask for a catalog with your order. The catalog has info on installing sail slugs, and it states that for daysailers the grommet-less shackles are fine.

Here's what you need. For the Omega I used 9 of each. For the 14.2 I think you'll need 10 of each, because I believe your luff is longer. Order a couple extra for spares or in case you lose a screw.

Shackle, Plastic Screw-On 5/8" (Each) Part# 24105 $0.80 each
Slug, Nylon Round 5/16" (Each) Part# 23307 $0.36 each
You will also need one Sail Track Stop, round #3543 $8.50 each.

You will need to carefully pry the shackles open to get them over the rope. Make sure to space them evenly and leave room at the foot of the luff to clear the groove opening and to slide in the Sail Track Stop.

You may need to file down the width of the (aluminum) track stop. Dry-fit the track stop and cut off the excess screw length with a hacksaw to avoid cutting your hand underway.

I wish I had done my installation earlier---I love it.
-V.

Installing Sail Slugs

You can order from Sail Rite by phone (260) 693-2242 or internet www. sailrite.com. Ask for a catalog with your order. The catalog has info on installing sail slugs, and it states that for daysailers the grommet-less shackles are fine.

Here's what you need. For the Omega 14, I used 9 of each. For the 14.2 I think you'll need 10 of each, because I believe your luff is longer. Order a couple extra for spares or in case you lose a screw.

Shackle, Plastic Screw-On 5/8" Part# 24105, $0.80 each
Slug, Nylon Round 5/16" Part# 23307, $0.36 each
You will also need one Sail Track Stop, round, #3543, $8.50 each.

You will need to carefully pry the shackles open to get them over the rope. Make sure to space them evenly and leave room at the foot of the luff to clear the groove opening and to slide in the Sail Track Stop.

You may need to file down the width of the (aluminum) track stop. Dry-fit the track stop and cut off the excess screw length with a hacksaw to avoid cutting your hand underway.

I wish I had done my installation earlier---I love it.
-V.

Thanks a million, V!

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response. I have the slugs and shackles on order from Sail Rite. I found an extra track stop in my junk box. I always kept a spare for my C-25 as I let one go over the side once!. You're right, I will have to file it down a bit. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks again.

Chris Davia LIES I TELL YOU!!

I was happily installing my boomkicker. ..It was a sunday afternoon.... I remember it oh so well... The firm breeze upon my dockers cachi pant buttocks as I slowly reached for the round tight tape....remembering those famous words of wisdom that the Lord spoke in capri:14:1930 , an the Chris Davia Sayeth, "Thou shall useth the tapeth or suffer through the fire ye of little faith ....a fire of spinters cast down from the Lord onto the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune!!". I took a deep slow moist erotic breath wiped my hands onto my neatly pressed pants and began my journey on my baby boat. The tape let out a yell as I peeled back its first layer revealing a sticky backside. I felt the "teeth' of the beast give way. I was in. I ripped through it and was now sweating...."what if my wife finds out?!!"....I began excessivly drinking. I told myself it meant nothing...but I was in love with my boat. I took out my hack saw and did what any man would do given the situation...I cut my pole. I first took up a sharpie marker in my left hand...for accuracy I used a laser leveler... (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ct_id=4246048&sourceid=1500000000000001245840) a rollback item at wallmart for 39.97. What a deal! I hope the illegeal immigrants who work there get a union. But onto the issue! Chris Davia lied to me about cutting my pole!! I read his 28" statement and got confused between "my lovely boat" and "my lovely self". I am currently typing from the hospital where I must stay until they find the right surgeon who can "fix" me. My laptop can no longer be a laptop I am told for fear that once grande enrique is back on...he may not thrive due to the increased temperature, added vasodialation. and inflammation from the battery's heat. Basically a mago salsa. So I must type laying down with the laptop on my chest. This wouldn't be a problem except that my dog is in heat and wants her "puppy chow". But luckly i found a way to pass this hospital time.....I am using the cooler (that keeps "senor picante enrique" on ice) as part of my rooms secret margarhita bar.

Sorry Chris Reyher

Hi Chris,

I think it has been a year since you asked me a question about the boomkicker. Sorry for the tardy reply, for some reason my email account has not kept me informed of the latest goings-on with this site. How is your boom kicker, did the installation go ok?

Chris Davia

Back