boom traveller

blue heaven

1. I've modified the awful traveller/mainsheet arrangement at the transome and wonder if anyone has tried to do a traveller directly under the boom mainsheet and completely across the hull-deck?
2. Rolly Tasker sails make high quality sails and are reasonably priced. Has anyone tried a larger jib configuration for more power?

What kind of modification?

What kind of modification to the "traveller" did you make? I just bought a boat myself, and would like to put something back there that would serve a useful purpose. Knotting the traveller around the sheave just goes against my grain.

Now, are you suggesting a traveller midships?

My stock 1987 has one line that runs from one side of the boat to the other side and when in use it is about 18 inches off the stern of the boat. It has worked fine for over 20 years, and I am very happy with the way it works. If it's not broken, don't fix it?

traveller

Not broke, but can be improved. Purists are welcome to ignore. I like the original but will like the "improved" version also. I'm also playing with the possibility of slinging a traeze, but doubt the rigging is sturdy enough. Comments please.
I believe the original sheet/traveller to be less than optimum for this boat, so a cheap and easy solution presented itself to me. Not my idea, but one that works on other boats.
1. The traveller on the stern. One small single block attatched each to port and starboard by a short line to the existing hole. These lead line down the seat side, but not to the deck, to a small turning block and on to a tube type (or other) jam-cleat. the existing boom-end block is removed and a line is permanently attatched to the fitting. This creates an inverted Y. The two "legs" are fed through the P and S blocks through the turning blocks to the jam cleats. ( I positioned the cleats close to the jib lead, but at the bottom of the seat back, so as to be handy.) To control the traveller play with both lines to lower/raise the boom.
2. This now means the sideways movement of the boom is controlled by the mainsheet only, which is attatched only at the mid-boom and the block beneath it. I'm using a double block with becket, probably overkill.
I would prefer to have the whole traveller, giving a far wider arc of control, about the same position as the jib leads and the full width of the hull, but this would divide the cockpit and create an obstacle to freely shifting weight around for optimum performance. Doubtful benefits. Has anyone done this? Does it work?
I intend to continue to fiddle around in "Blue Heaven" and, with your leave, will post stuff.

The trapeze idea for the Capri 14.2 would be a really cool idea or a very cold idea, depending on the water temperature.

trapeze

Hi THedstrom
Up here ( Vancouver Island) year round water temp. is about 42 C. Always cold! I wear a wetsuit sailing .... or die. Trapezeing single handed is such a Waaaahooo and worth an occasional dousing.
Has anyone tried it on a Capri? Did the mast collapse? Did you drown? Did people point and laugh? After all what can water do to you! Disaprobation is much colder! Chorus of disaproval positively freezy.
Maybe a wire could be slung from the shroud/mast attatchment? And an additional one for the kid? Hm, maybe not.

The boat could handle traps but its not a good planing hull. Coronado 15 is a trap rigged boat, look there for adding a trap to your C14.2 as the boats are kind of similar. And cut the transom open, ditch the seats, add a aso and a square top main lol. On the traveler , go with a Snipe split main sheet and up grade the Vang for more purchase so you can Vang sheet the main.

And cut the transom open, ditch the seats, add a aso and a square top main , taller rig too:eek: lol. The boat has too much power in breeze so why add cloth. Get an A-cat if you want to go fast on a trap. My 2 cents. Good luck with the mods.

Back