Boom topping lift

sailordan

Hi there from sailordan-
My father-in-law just got a Capri 14.2. Fun boat- real responsive to the changing winds of Suttons Bay, MI where we sail it! He hopes to make it single-handing friendly. When you lower the mainsail, the cockpit gets full of sails, rigging spaghetti, etc. Does anyone have information on rigging a boom topping lift to support the boom after the mainsail is lowered????

Thanks, all. I've been enjoying the conversations, especially the turtling discussions.
sailordan

It's pretty easy. Put an eyelet near the top of the mast. Run a line from there to the end of the boom, and attach (you should be able to attach it where the block is also attached).

My line has a quick disconnect shackle and the length is such that when I disconnect it, it attaches quite nicely to the where the cunningham attaches to the mast. It makes for easy storage of the topping lift when I don't need it.

I had a small cleat rigged port aft on the boom for the topping lift which dead ends with an eyelet at the masthead. Works wonders.

Jon

Topping Lift

You don't want to have the boom in front of your nose. The boat is too cramped to fight against a swinging boom. Have it completely lowered in the hull and live with the spaghetti. On top, wind will be caught in the remaining sail area and will very well lead you in a direction you probably don't want to go.

Back