Boom sleeve

Emilio Castelli

I just bought a used Laser and I am trying to bring it up to specs.
Anybody knows when the boom sleeve became standard?
Is there a trick (weight, bending test...) to check whether the sleeve is installed?
Thanks in advance.
Emilio

A straightened coat hanger (with the end bent at 90 degrees) poked down the inside of the boom will determine if a sleeve is present. If you mark the coathanger where the sleeve ends are, you can determine the length and position of the sleeve. Whilst the sleeve was around well before 1985, it was lengthened and repositioned in about 1998 (length went from 710 to 900mm).

A straightened coat hanger (with the end bent at 90 degrees) poked down the inside of the boom will determine if a sleeve is present. If you mark the coathanger where the sleeve ends are, you can determine the length and position of the sleeve. Whilst the sleeve was around well before 1985, it was lengthened and repositioned in about 1998 (length went from 710 to 900mm).

Alan:
Thanks so much. I have a sleeve but I can't positively "feel" the inner emd of it with the hanger. If it is the long one it should show in the forward hole of the forward mainsheet block, right?
My boat is a 1988.
Thanks.
E

That's correct. The sleeve was lengthened to extend beyond the mainsheet block as the short sleeved used to break at that location.

Back