Boom Repair

H2OLOO

The swivel and end cap pulled out of my lower boom. Now the holes look like slots. Can I buy a sleeve and drill new holes? Any advice? Thanks John

I would probably upgrade to the mast cap with the fairlead built into the plastic cap (I just did this upgrade this past summer).
It's a $12 part at APS. http://www.apsltd.com/p-23724-top-cap-w-fairlead-and-rivets.aspx

yhst-70220623433298_2144_31075158

cheers,
tag

ah, nice catch. apparently I wasn't fully awake when I read the original post!

hello. the same thing happened to my lower boom, I simpley pushed the end cap back on then rotated it 90 degrees ,then re drilled into the fresh metal of the boom.regards john

New Plan. I could not find any tubing that I could use for a sleeve so new idea is to cut 1/2 inch off and then drill new holes. Then make up for 1/2 inch by tightening tie at rear of boom. I am not going to cut until tomorrow so if it is a mistake PLEASE let me know. It might sound like I am in a rush, but we are sailing every day in the Fl. Keys. I know--I know-I am a dog. Use my Sunfish only for pleasure. Thanks John

rotated it 90 degrees??? If you rotate the boom the clips for the main sheet pulleys will not be on the bottom of the boom and swivel will not line up. Maybe I don't understand? Thanks John

John ... If you haven't fixed it yet , I have a piece on anodized aluminum tube that is the perfect diameter to sleeve the boom , plus a short piece of boom section if you want it.
Let me know how much you want & I'll cut it off and pop it in the post. I'm in Deerfield Beach. As long as you cover the postage that's fine.

hello, sorry i mean rotate the end cap not the boom,in fact you do not even have to rotate the cap just re drill and replace the screws at 90 degrees from the torn out holes regards john

Yes, rotate the boom 90 degrees, re-drill the vertical hole, insert the double eye bolt and you are good to go. However, you will also have to reposition the end cap at the other end of the boom and reposition the two boom blocks and bails. I suggest thru-bolting the block bails for extra strength.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to rotate the boom 90 degrees, re-drill the vertical hole, insert the double eye bolt and reposition the end cap at the other end of the boom and reposition the two boom blocks and bails and not cut the boom. The offer of material to make a sleeve was very nice. Thanks again John

John ... If you haven't fixed it yet , I have a piece on anodized aluminum tube that is the perfect diameter to sleeve the boom , plus a short piece of boom section if you want it.
Let me know how much you want & I'll cut it off and pop it in the post. I'm in Deerfield Beach. As long as you cover the postage that's fine.
A long time since this post, but wondering islefowightlen if you still have anodized aluminum tubing that fits the inner diameter of the lower boom? I have the same issue as the original post in this thread. Not clear though how the end cap will still fit in the boom with sleeve in it as the inner diameter will be smaller with the sleeve. I like the other idea posted here of drilling new holes at 90 degrees through the end cap and boom (horizontal) but it seems that would interfere with the eye bolt that needs to go through the same cap (vertical) to hold the S hook and sail. Thanks for any advice/help you may be able to provide. Hoping to salvage the lower boom and give it a few more years of use.

If your boom is the original length you can trim up to an inch off, that's easiest. Check to make sure you have enough room on the outhaul end to move the sail out. Another option might be to jbweld a couple of small aluminum washers over the torn area and reinsert the interlocking bolt. Then you could put small pins, screws or rivets in from either side with marine sealant to help hold in the cap. While you're at it, if you don't have a boom cap on that end that has the tab like the outhaul caps, buy one and install it with the tab pointing down. That keeps the interlocking bolt from scratching the foredeck.

Back