Boom height

mikeyg

Just picked up a 14.2 and sorting the rigging out - lots to sort...

What is the class height for the boom from the mast step?

I did - did I miss it? I read through it again, but I didn't see where boom height is described - only the 17'3" bands on the mast, but I can't see where those locations are described either

I must admit, I didn't read through it and since I don't race the Capri, I don't really have any first hand knowledge. I know many go to that document as the source. I have found it helpful in other instances. That being said, if there is no other documentation, I would surmise that the boom height is a function of the luff of the mainsail.

I didn't see where boom height is described - only the 17'3" bands on the mast, but I can't see where those locations are described either

Yes, no mention of where the lower and upper points (i.e., measurement bands) should actually be! Not very good rule-writing. I suppose you should just raise the main as high as it goes and assume that's where the upper point is, and measure down from there to find the lower point. Then do whatever you may need to the gooseneck so that the foot of the sail doesn't come lower than that. And then measure the boom height :rolleyes:

(This from someone who's never seen a 14.2 live :confused: )

_

The only class critical measurement is the luff length for the main of 17' 3". If your boom fitting rides loosely in the sail slot of the mast it's height above deck will be controlled by the tension which you put on the main halyard and how close to the top of the mast you raise the sail. And, you may have a downhaul on the gooseneck or it's attachment slide for controlling the luff tension as well as keeping the boom from riding up. That would be in addition to the use of a Cunningham line for control of the draft of the main. My 2016 Mod 3 14.2K has Selden spars and the position of the gooseneck slide is fixed in position. Only my boom has a black line on the aft portion of the boom to indicate the max foot of the main when tensioned. My previous Cape Dory Typhoon and a Newport Surprise both had a "free floating" gooseneck with a stop below it to simply keep it from falling down toward the cockpit when the main was slacked or being lowered. Also had a Cunningham line for control of the main's draft. My Tanzer 22 had a sliding gooseneck fitting with a knob to tighten it into place. Again, the class specified length of the mainsail luff was the controlling dimension. So, that is why you don't find a reference to the height of the boom above the deck or deck step plate for the boom. Maybe this will help clarify.

The only class critical measurement is the luff length for the main of 17' 3". If your boom fitting rides loosely in the sail slot of the mast it's height above deck will be controlled by the tension which you put on the main halyard and how close to the top of the mast you raise the sail. And, you may have a downhaul on the gooseneck or it's attachment slide for controlling the luff tension as well as keeping the boom from riding up. That would be in addition to the use of a Cunningham line for control of the draft of the main. My 2016 Mod 3 14.2K has Selden spars and the position of the gooseneck slide is fixed in position. Only my boom has a black line on the aft portion of the boom to indicate the max foot of the main when tensioned. My previous Cape Dory Typhoon and a Newport Surprise both had a "free floating" gooseneck with a stop below it to simply keep it from falling down toward the cockpit when the main was slacked or being lowered. Also had a Cunningham line for control of the main's draft. My Tanzer 22 had a sliding gooseneck fitting with a knob to tighten it into place. Again, the class specified length of the mainsail luff was the controlling dimension. So, that is why you don't find a reference to the height of the boom above the deck or deck step plate for the boom. Maybe this will help clarify.
Interesting... The luff on my main is only 16'6". I measured it numerous times as I just ordered new sails

Back