Boom falls off when rigging

Skygod1

It is probably one of my biggest gripes about rigging up is having the boom fall of the gooseneck. I am thinking about drilling a hole through the pin and putting a pin through it where it extends out both sides about an 1/8th inch and slotting the plastic mast insert so it keys in and turns. Would this make things illegal?

That would be illegal (basic rule: if it isn't specifically permitted it's not legal)

To prevent the boom from dropping down, tighten the vang.

That drives me crazy too. I bought one of thos twisted S hooks and the second that I put the sail on, I tighten my outhaul. Works like a champ.

do you attach the sail first with semi tight outhaul then put the boom onto the gooseneck ? sorta works for me ...

My method is this:

sail on mast

hook up cunningham

clip on outhaul

boom on gooseneck pin

clip on vang

lift boom and attach clew

No problems.

If the vang is so loose at it's loosest setting that it lets the pin jump out, then it's too loose for downwind performance anyway.

A $1 modification that would make my day easy. Maybe I can get it class approved and sell it for $20. Total kit would include pin and drill bit.

extra holes in masts and spars will eventually ruin the integrity of the metal. causing breakage. if you use the tips about tightening the vang, you will not have a problem.

The hole would be in the end of the gooseneck pin with a 3/16 tension pin through it protruding both sides 1/8th inch. The plastic plug would have two slots filed in the recieving hole 1/8th inch deep the same width as tension pin 90 degrees from the gooseneck pin alignment. Thus you could match up the mast with the slots and then twist 90. The whole thing would take you 20 minutes to do and cost .40 cents for the pin at your local hardware store. Save you a lot of annoyance and proabably shorten your rigging time. Also if you ever had to make any changes to your rigging while on the water, it would make that a possibility. I cant see any where it would weaken the integrity of any structure. I'll post pictures this weekend when I do mine.

Have you thought of replacing the boom plug with a new one? If the hole is sloppy that might be at the root of the problem. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, it might be operator error in some way with the rigging. I can't even remember the last time mine fell off and I don't really see other Laser sailors having a problem either so I think that your mod is really a solution in search of a problem (and the law of unintended consequences means that it could cause you some other problem down the road).

But hey, if you're not going to race and you want to tinker, more power to you.

you guys have got to be kidding me, just deal with it, if its really that big of a problem, just tighten your vang!

but I have been known to come up with some crazy idea's myself, so what can I say...

Its not a case of cant afford to buy new parts or knowing how to deal with it. Its a matter of its an annoying event that slows me down rigging the boat in the parking lot. It may be that the plug is a little sloppy, the boat is over 20 years old. That doesnt matter to me, if I cared about that I would ante up for a new one with all the bells and whistles. But what would be fun about that? It turns out that other people have experienced the same problem. I think I recall a post by someone who thought the mast should have been designed differently. Ring any bells? I was hoping that the $1 alteration could make my life and possibly someone elses easier. The work will b complete tomorrow and I will post the findings.

I was hoping that the $1 alteration could make my life and possibly someone elses easier. The work will b complete tomorrow and I will post the findings.

That's all good and well, bucko, but ya can't sail it in any official regattas. As long as you know. We'll be watching for you!

Vang on while I rig up to stop the boom slipping off, then vang looser to raise the boom and attach the clew last thing.

Sorosz idea of the new boom plug might help. If a bit of extra friction is all you want maybe a small amount of tape on the gooseneck pin would do? Class legal? I don't know?

For a mere 40 cents, you are going to make your boat not a Laser. Can anyone here make their boat illegal for less? Let's have a contest.

Mr. Skygod1, deal with it like the rest of us. This bit of Laser whimsy is part of the learning curve. Yes, all newbies have the boom fall off now and then. Keeping the boom on is what distinguishes the men from the boys.

Not all bucko's who own a Laser race in regattas or race at all. They just might like to sail just to be sailing. By the way, I was distinguished from a boy a long time ago; little sister.

little sister.

Thank you. That is a compliment. :D

I'm only concerned for your welfare Mr Skygod1. More than one person has started out just wanting to sail around and turned to racing to improve their skills and stay interested. You'll fly that mission if you come to it, fully aware that you'll need to get a new gooseneck.

If you ever decide to sail in a class event just remove the bolt and pop 2 rivets in the holes on the boom.

A) No one will ever notice the hole on the goose neck.
B) If someone asks about the rivets on the boom just say you were trying to repair the end fitting and went about it the wrong way.

The chances of someone giving you crap about those things on a 20 year old boat are nil. Unless you are an olympic class sailor and put a horizon job on the fleet.

Most people at our club rig the mast/boom/sail complete on the lawn and then just hoist the whole assembly up in to the mast step. It doesn't fall off then!. If its a bit windy we often help each other by holding the bottom of the mast and guiding in to the step.
I see though that you rig in a carpark, so maybe you don't have the space available ?

I have a bungee tight around the boom. Insert key, then roll bungee forward tight against the key, so it ends up angled a bit, and jams the key forward.

I've seen Paige use a watchband type velcro strap to do the same thing.

Keeping the boom on is a safety issue, so my vang is knotted at the loosest point I'd use it also.

Al Russell 182797

do you attach the sail first with semi tight outhaul then put the boom onto the gooseneck ? sorta works for me ...

Here is my fool proof way of not embarassing myself when leaving shore.

Sail up, rig vang, rig Cunningham, get blades ready to go and drop in. Hook Outhaul onto sail (this is only good unless it's blowing like crap, then I attatch on shore). Have outhaul line handy and tighten. Only lost the boom once since I started this program.

I dont seem to have any problems with the boom falling off after i have put on the clewstrap, the sail creates enough force to keep the boom up so it does not fall off ( i think ),
i usually put the kicker on last as i have knotted the rope and need to pull in the mainsheet to get it on, i seem to have no problems in my method

Back