Bonking my head & safety helmets

maximbmf

In heavier winds (20kts+) the boom keeps on bonking my head when comming about. Im fine with gybes though. I dont know why it's happening more now .. than earlier this season. Something I've got to figure out.

.... anyhow ... does anyone wear safety helmets when Lasering? Perhaps a kayaking helmets or a bike or ski helmet?

Bill

I would guess you have the vang tighter beating and tacking than running and gibing. Maybe tighter now than in the past.

I have thought of wearing one, I have been hit once hard enough to leave a lump on my forehead. However I have replaced the metal mainsheet guide that is in the center of the boom, with one made of webbing to reduce the risk of cuts if hit.

Phil

I've only hit my head once in my laser, and that was when i was getting to the dock to haul my boat out while my mind was anywhere but thinking about the unintentional gybe that may occur, and man did that hurt = S. bill, i suggest you not wear a helmit, because i've never seen someone wearing one, and if i did, id laugh my ass off. but phils right, its pribibly the vang. in heavy air i dont get it in the head, i get the shoulder of the lifejacket snagged on the mainsheet.
phil, i was thinking about replacing the eye too, how hard is it? what is involved?

Hi Iain

I bought the replacement from Rooster, see the url below. The one he supplied had the Rooster logo which I didn’t like so I put it on with the logo facing the boom so it is hidden.

Basically the kit is two pop rivets and a piece of webbing with two holes burnt in it (one at each end).

You could just make one if you find a supplier of the right stainless steel rivets and a bit of nylon strap.

All you do is gently drill the old rivets. I was careful not do drill right through, only drill enough to remove the heads, you wont open the holes up too much then. Get a good pop riveter and rivet the new strap back.

I sailed without one for a while but needed to block the holes as the boom gets water in it and pulls the boat over.

http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...e_Code=1&Product_Code=lbsf&Category_Code=lb&f

Phil

maximbmf said:
In heavier winds (20kts+) the boom keeps on bonking my head when comming about. Im fine with gybes though. I dont know why it's happening more now .. than earlier this season. Something I've got to figure out.

.... anyhow ... does anyone wear safety helmets when Lasering? Perhaps a kayaking helmets or a bike or ski helmet?

Bill
As prev stated, vang tension is the likely culprit. I've seen a few helmets at various regattas. More common with Masters sailors, they have the maturity to put one one rather then worry about what their peers might think.

You didn't mention it, but flexibility and stength, especially in the core muscles is also a factor.

iain_CAN165061 said:
---snip---
phil, i was thinking about replacing the eye too, how hard is it? what is involved?
A couple of additional comments - you can also use the outer core of a double braid line instead of the webbing. Anything 1/4" in dia and above works fine. Cut a piece approx the correct length, strip out the core, burn the ends and use a soldering iron or punch to make the holes for the rivits to go thru. (make the holes slightly undersize)

You also don't need to use SS rivits, the loop is very lightly loaded and aluminum will do the job just fine.

Class rules have recently changed on this, they also now allow a continous piece to go around the boom - The NA Class Newsletter has more info on it.

re iain; and if i did, id laugh my ass off

This from the generation that wears clothes 4 sizes too big such that their crotch of the pants is down near the knees and the tops of the their underwear is hanging out and they are the ones deface their bodies with excessive piercings and tattoos.

Who's laughing now?

hey hey hey steven, IIII dress my own way, if you look at the way people dress at my school, i GARINTEE you wont find people who dress like me, i am my own self. i wear my regatta tees and stand tall and proud of sailing and am more then willing to kick neone in the dong who says nething against sailing. AND, as an addon to the dressing, IIII wear my "EYC Racing Team" hoddie every chance i get. and wear my "Fogh Marine" (www.foghmarine.com) visor evey time theres sun in my eyes. IIIII do not dress like that, "I am from the 70s and 80s, just a few deckades late"

ta ta for now

Philip said:
Greg M

Is there a link to The NA Class Newsletter?

Phil
Sure, the NA Class website contains them. The current issue is not on the site yet, and most likely won't be up until the next issue comes out...

It's a little surprising that the change is not listed in the ILCA site and the NA site since it's dealing with a rule change/modification. Anybody from the class listening ?

Here's the link
http://www.laser.org/m/_general/Lasersailors.asp

the biggest problem i have is that when the boom hits me that the little metal loop that holds the main sheet to the boom hits my head! it hurts really bad to! iv thought about using a helmet but kinda just one of those ideas! never really tryd it.

Hey gavin, i ono if you read the thread... but find the part that goes "philip" "iain_CAN165061" then back to "Philip"... you'll find what ur looking for

c ya

Back