Bon voyage

fallspiper

Just had to comment on a recent experience with my Capri that might get some smiles. I had just made the decision to sell my Capri in favor of something a bit larger (Daysailer or something). I decided to take it out for a final sail before the prospective buyers came to see it. I was questioning the sail as there was hardly any wind perceptible. Not even the leaves on the trees were moving. There were some dark clouds over the lake, but it was clearing nicely to the west. No rain or anything was in the marine forecast. I decided I would take it out for a brief sail. Upon leaving the mooring under sail, I suddenly felt the wind pick up. I was encouraged. Then some rain drops and the wind shifted. The boat went into irons when I tried to tack. I brought the boat back and suddenly a HUGE gust of wind caught me and capsized the boat. Suddenly there were two foot waves rolling into the harbor and I had attracted quite a bit of attention. I grabbed the centerboard and brought the boat up, but the wind grabbed the sails and threw it over again. It turtled and the mast bounced off the bottom as I tried to keep the boat from hitting the pier. Eventually, with the help of some people on the pier we managed to right the boat and get the sails down. All ended well as I tied back up at the mooring. I couldn't help but to speculate on the meaning of the whole event. I had never capsized the boat in 2 years of sailing on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and this was really strange! I wasn't sure if it was a sign that I should be selling the boat or shouldn't be. I guess the debate is over as the boat sold today. I'm not sure if the buyers noticed the seaweed in the shrouds! Anyways, she was a great little boat to learn on and I'll probably be signing off from this forum. Thanks and best to all.

Jason

Back