Boat with no title in South Carolina - DNR

justincazel

Hi folks - I almost pulled the trigger on a Laser yesterday, but the guy pointed out that he has no title. I didn't even think about this being a big deal until he said something about it. I called the Dept of Natural Resources this morning and heard the process for getting a title for a boat that doesn't have one. Bottom line, there is a process that could be several months long and cost a bunch to get a to buy a Laser, get it titled and sail it around in some local lakes. The fine, according to the person on the phone, is $460 if you're caught sailing an unregistered boat. Does anyone know a faster, easier way to get title?

Find a hull with a title.

The ways around the issue add up to fraud which is even worse than the fine for sailing a boat without a permit due to lacking a title.

There must be an easier (legal) way to get a non-titled boat titled in the state of SC. After all, many states do not require that a small boat be titled. The DNR clerk may have been mistaken.
Earlier threads addressing this issue:
South Carolina registration? | SailingForums.com
and
Required safety equipment for sailing a Sunfish? | SailingForums.com

Also, emphasize that your Laser is less than 14 ft. Apparently that's a threshold for some of these (crazy?) rules.

Good luck, fighting the bureaucrats...

Last edited:
Really... the reason a lot of boats around here on craigslist are listed so cheap is because of lacking title.

If there is an old registration number that MIGHT be able to be looked up to find the last titled owner, if they haven't moved since they titled the boat.
Texas its $25 for lost title, 30 days for them to mail it to the address of last registration and then get that last titled owner to sign it.
So if it has a state registration number on the bow you MIGHT have a path tracing the number.
They could also just say "Thanks for finding my stolen boat."

Lost chain of ownership is a big problem.

Which state matters, because some states don't require any form of registration for (possibly) canoes, sailboats, rafts etc if under a certain length and no engine/motor is used.

In Texas a Sunfish or Laser ( or < 14 ft jon boat) would need no title until you added a propeller.
If you try adding a motor you might have to come up with the FULL chain of ownership from date of manufacture.

Thanks everybody. I am going to pass on anything that comes around without a title. Not worth the risk or hassle. I think I have a couple identified that are coming from a local sailing club. I would be shocked if those weren't titled. Now I need to find a trailer.

I had a beater Laser that I certainly would never be able to identify the chain of ownership. I sold it to someone in SC for a few hundred cash. The subject of title never came up.

For what it's worth, I have never seen a Laser with "SC xxxx" numbers on the bow. That's not to say a title isn't required, though.

Is the boat registered or not?

I've bought a currently registered vehicle without a title...in Cslifornia, it's very easy to fill out a form and get a duplicate title issued.

Twice I have bought boats that have never been registered.

One was an inflatable dingy I use as a tender for my sailboat. I paid tax and registration.

The second was my current 1990 Laser, which had a class association sticker but no title or registration numbers on it. The lady at the DMV asked why it had never been registered. I said I didn't know, that I bought the hull from a guy at my marina, and that perhaps the original owner just used it for racing (no reg needed). It cost me $61 dollars for tax a registration, and I was mailed the title two weeks later.

All states are different, but I'd do more research before writing off an unregistered boat.

However, I'd be more wary of buying s registered boat with out of date registration. Likely, the new owner will be stuck with fees and fines the previous owner should have paid.

Back