Boat weight

In the early 1970s there were lots of 115 lb boats to be found. They were great prizes for some and others felt they lacked enough material to be durable.

Since 1990 I have weighed about 50 Lasers. None seemed heavier than 135 lbs and none lighter than 125. I am using crummy bathroom scales and those numbers fall within the claimed accuracy range of the scale

My first laser 4180? was 130 lbs. my second boat 102852 was 139lbs. I don't know what my new boat weighs, but my suspicion is that Vanguard is building them to pretty close tolerances. If I recall correctly the builder had recently changed when I bought my second boat. I imagine many of the dealers are weighing the boats as they come in. They would be using the same scale to measure multiple boats. If you want a reliable survey I would ask your local dealer.

Hi,

I seldom disagree with the Gouv, but...

I was using the bath scale until recently, when I dropped a hull on edge dead center in the metal scale. So I just bought a nice farm style hanging scale on ebay, and rigged up a nice 6:1 rig from the junk box, so now I can weigh one by myself. I plan to weigh the whole fleet in a month or so (35 boats, all ages).

I always weigh with all bolted on parts on, incl. strap, ratchet, traveler line. Plus, our New England weather mid-summer can make it very hard to dry an accidently wet boat. Also, I do buy some old abused boats to dry and fix up as fleet builders.

All that said, I've seen a larger range. 132 to 170 so far, with 140 being very common. (The 170 dropped to 145 after 5 months next to my furnace with a puter fan in one of two new ports.) I'd be very happy with a 135lb. 80's hull, given the above conditions.

I'll get my two nice boats down in a week or so, and weigh them with the new rig. Last time we did this, in 1990 or so, we found a much smaller range. However those boats all had ports, and were stored indentically on club racks. Back then, it was upside down, port open, no covers.

Al Russell 182797

That's interesting Al. Do let us know how your scale works out. Those boats weighing 170 must be pretty slow! After drying them by the furnace did you have any problems with the exterior of the boat maybe more cracking in the gel coat?

my current boat weighs about 165/7 its an early canadian hull with more layers of re-gel than all of the others at my club and soggy flotation blocks but it's still very compeditive

I've gotten some more boats onto the scale, and most are within the gouv's range. I guess my point would be that if your's is out of this range (above 132) then you better rethink how you store it.

I'll try to attach the list of weights, and a pic of the scale.

Al Russell 182797

Attachments

• Laser weights.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 81
  • scale 1.jpg
    scale 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 80

Back