boat weight

pleon5045

i have a 2002 boat that's been sailed pretty hard for three seasons now. that's including some time on high speed tows, a lot of time being trailered...
many of my friends who have 2002 boats are buying new boats right now. (for use starting this winter, but mainly starting in the summer).
however, my boat is bone dry. it has NEVER (knock on wood) taken on water. that is, i have never had water drain out of the bunghole. there are, however, several spider cracks on the hull, one through the fiberglass scratch on the bow (which was repaired, but not for several months), and what looks like a hole at the back of the cockpit. (through the gelcoat- there is a small gap between the gelcoat and the fiberglass).
how can i weigh my boat to see if it has absorbed water? is it worth it if i have never been able to drain water? it doesn't feel particularly heavy (not compared to my old boat, which was 10+ years old).
and not that i have the finances to buy a new boat even if this one did end up being heavy.. but just out of curiousity.
thanks

Hi Kendall,

The best way I've heard of weighing a boat is to flip it upside down and put two regular bathroom scales underneath the bow and the stern and add up the two weights. It's always worked for me. And if you do decide to get a new one, up here at Seacoast Marine we have a stock '04 model that we could probobly let go for a pretty sweet deal. I'm just kidding, good luck and see you in June.

really,,just follow your instinct,and financial priorities on this!--too many people are too serious about the 'necessity' of keeping a new boat under them!
Remember,,you ARE allowed to repair stressed out areas--I used a 20+ year boat to win many regional events on my coast.

....you can generally get a reasonably accurate weight for your laser by balancing the boat on it's edge on a scale,,but it means little unless you've got a calibrated scale,,,,,,,,,and what's the point??-if your boat was built 2 lbs heavier to start,,it's most likely stiffer,and has better longevity,,,,,,,,but it's 2 lbs heavier than your buddy's--so you'd get rid of it,,spend a few grand,,,and end up with worse??????
Do you keep your boat at moorage???--It's somewhat impossible for a 'dry' laser to gain weight......It IS good to store your boat dry,upside down,with the hatch open,,so that condensation moisture is reduced....to gain water weight,,youd have to store the boat with water inside!
Youda hafta be pretty 'honed' with your sailing to worry about ANYTHING on a 2 yearold boat!-----get it??????

Back