Boat weight question

altair

I bought a used sunfish which is about 10 yrs old. It weighs 132lbs. Is that considered a normal weight? What is the average weight of a sunfish? Also, the mast has some small dents and pits. I sanded them smooth but do I need to use something to fill in the dents? Is so, what would I use? Thanks for the information.

altair,

132 lbs is about as close to factory spec (130 lbs) as you can get. The mast is clear anodized from the factory and the anodization does get worn of, especially around the goose neck area. If the pits and dents are shallow and none of the pits penetrate, I would not worry too much unless they are clustered in one small area. If a dent is sharp like a crease, new mast time. The cluster of pits in one area or a sharp dent (crease) is a weaken spot and could cause the mast to fail (usally far from shore). If you have any doubts, remove one of the caps (use a small nail to drive the retaining pin inside. it will be caught in the cap, replace when finished). You may have to remove a cork plug (legal to remove per the rules) to see inside the full length. If you see any light inside, you have a penetration. Just one small pinhole is not much of a problem, fill with a little sealant (or JB Weld, it wont strengthen the mast, but will blend in better), a bunch in one area, start looking for another mast. Some would suggest sleaving the inside of the mast (putting a tube that is just smaller than the I.D. of the original mast). Use a little sealant (3M 5200/4200 or Silicon) when you replace the cap. Always rinse your mast, spars, sails and boat off when you get home, especially if you sail in salt water.

altair,

Another place to look for pitting is under the gooseneck. Loosen the bolt and slide the gooseneck one way or the other and look for pitting under neath. If you have a cluster of pits, start looking for a new spar or sleave it from the inside, same method as the mast. Or swap spar positions, putting the "old" gooseneck area towards the top/stern. This will mean drilling a new hole for the eyebolts in at least the old bottom spar.

Back