Boat Speed Indicator

kencraw

I saw the boat speed indicator on APS (Perfect instrument for tuning up, especially in classes that do not allow knotmeters while racing. Reads boat speed and records maximum speed attained, average speed and distance traveled. Impeller mounts on hull with adhesive, display mounts with dual lock Velcro (included). Easily removable. Powered by a lithium battery. )

I was thinking that there might be another way around the block for us Laser sailors: drill a hole in the bottom of a centerboard and mount a traditional boat speed indicator in it. The idea being you have a practice centerboard that includes the indicator and another one for other times.

Here are my pros/cons:
-No adhesive to apply/remove on a continual basis.
-Easy to swap without pulling the boat out of the water.
-Requires an extra centerboard.
-Requires a possibly very narrow boat speed indicator.
-Can one get a good reading from the bottom of the centerboard, or is the hull a better place?

Any thoughts?

ummm...k

sounds like a great idea. i know i'd love to know my top speed. but the indicator must be smaller then the width of the daggerboard huh. but if it is indeed smaller then it is a great idea. and are you thinking of running the wires through the board? and one last thing, if you sail on flats or anywhere really if you hit bottom man that things gone. you must be carefull.

i don't know about the prices over in America, but those little things are pretty cheap here in Switzerland (the cheapest ones are around $150) I think that's still cheaper than stuffing your centerboard....

Umm, I live in Toronto, not the States, but hey is that 150$ American?

I've been using my ETrex as a speedometer. It works just fine and is actually cheaper and easier to use than most speed indicators. A good handheld GPS can be had for under $100 USD.

[quote:0e5a718309="mg38024"]I've been using my ETrex as a speedometer. It works just fine and is actually cheaper and easier to use than most speed indicators. A good handheld GPS can be had for under $100 USD.[/quote:0e5a718309]

Have you done any speed testing using your GPS? Even at a minor level what kind of numbers are you seeing as it corilates to position of sail and wind speed?

There are many, including myself that would luv to see your #'s

I haven't found a good way to mount the GPS where I can see it while sailing. It's just about impossible to read while hiking. I have thought about somehow putting it on my arm, but that's still in the works.

What about on the back side of the mast like the big boys do. Get some shock cord so you can pull it into view easily. It will be vertically mounted, I'm assuming your GPS operates correctly in this position. 8)

With a GPS, you can only get a really reliable speed indication on flat water. The GPS speed indication is based on the distance made good from one coordinate to another coordinate. So it's not actually the speed (through the water) you are experiencing when you are for example surfing down a huge wave.

But I suppose the GPS will give you a rough idea...

I hope you understood my rather basic English :wink:

Your english is great! What is your first language? German? I speak a bit of german.

yes, my first language is German. i lived in New Zealand for a while so i also learned a bit of English...

Guten Tag! Ich heisse Seth und ich bin 15 Jahre alt! Ich komme aus Toronto. Hows my german?

Seth

What does that mean? I don't speak any other languages... I know a little spanish though.

It means"Hello! My name is Seth and I am 15 years old. I come from Toronto."

ummm...k

hey i know what guten tag means. i learned it in spanish class!....unfortunately thats the only thing i learned. :cry:

Back