Boat repair and upkeep - advice wanted!

CampSailor

Howdy everyone! I am a counselor at a summer camp in Maine currently in possession of four sunfish sailboats. These boats are very well loved and highly under cared for, with ages ranging from 4 years - long before my time. I grew up and learned to sail in some of them and would love to provide the treatment they deserve, however I am a complete novice in boat repair. Our director has agreed to send a couple of them off to a professional in the fall; in the meantime it is my goal to have four sailboats for our campers to use this season that will not sink. I would also like to keep our nicer boat(s) the way they are. Any advice, comments or gentle ridicule would be greatly appreciated!

I have in my tool belt a few nights of research into boat repair and material specs, also TotalBoat fairing compound, epoxy primer, wet edge topside paint and thinner (200). Basic tools as well such as a rotary sander, vacuum and PPE. Below I've attached a number of photos of the boats and possible issues with their hulls; there are a lot of them and I've left out redundant examples of damage. Safe to say most of them share quite a bit of problems.

I'll start off with Quaker Boys, our oldest boat and one that is near and dear to my heart:
Quaker Boys.jpg Quaker Boys 1.jpegQuaker Boys 2.jpgQuaker Boys 3.jpgQuaker Boys 4.jpgQuaker Boys 5.jpegQuaker Boys 6.jpeg

Next we have Hector, a recent acquisition:

Hector.jpg Hector 1.jpeg Hector 2.jpeg Hector 3.jpeg

The Kathy Dyer, another recently acquired vessel that came with several DIY repairs already installed. It looks like epoxy or some kind of filler has been applied directly to the damaged areas.

Kathy Dyer.jpg Hector 1.jpeg Kathy Dyer 2.jpeg Kathy Dyer 3.jpeg

Finally we have Lady, our newest and slickest (and unfortunately dirtiest) sunfish with what I believe is a mostly intact gel coat. I would like to do everything I can to keep her this way.

Lady.jpg Lady 1.jpeg Lady 2.jpeg The prow and stern of the hull are bright and shiny, with a duller, faded surface below the waterline. I was only able to find the one blemish.

Thank you for checking out all of this material, I am excited to hear your thoughts!
The Fleet.jpeg

Attachments

• Kathy Dyer 1.jpeg
    Kathy Dyer 1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
I love this post and give you credit for the knowledge you’ve acquired already and for taking on this project to repair and care for these Sunfish.
Reaching out to this forum was a smart move, too, because there’s lots of great advice here.
I’d start with leak testing the boats. Some of the leaks are obvious, some probably less so. Check out our very own Signal Charlie’s Small Boat Restoration videos and others that demonstrate how to do the test. Use any small pump- I have one from an inflatable mattress or a bike pump works- DON’T overpressurize the hulls or you can do damage- I hold the pump just over the deck drain hole. Cover the tiny hole in the upper forward cockpit wall with a piece of tape. (Remove tape when done)
Check the mast holes by filling with water. If it drains into hull you’ve got leaks there. Get a camper or two to help with the spray bottles of soapy water.
All of the boats look very repairable. How do the sails look?
Maybe you can get a squad of kids to help with patching or replacing missing rings, etc. You might just spark a lifelong love for a kid who may be patching up a ding on Quaker Boys 50 years from now.
If you need parts, post in Wanted in this forum and mention that donations are welcome. It’s certainly a worthy cause.

CampSailor...you don't have a problem...! ;)

A tube of THIXO will go a long way, and last a long time...

Ensure the aluminum trim is always secure. It's a very strong extrusion, so any piece that protrudes is a potent weapon. (And an easy fix with a drill and pop-rivet "pliers" or "gun").

It appears these boats are moored?

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures again, I see a puncture in the chine of the Kathy Dyer. I've replicated the picture below. The extent of the damage should be assessed before starting the repair. Although enhanced somewhat, it's still not easy to see. The bright white color smears may be MarineTex, a strong two-part material. According to my fiberglass repair expert-friend, his advice is to sand a much bigger area than just a half-inch around the repair. Annoying advice, I know. ;)

Perhaps you've already seen the recent Scorpion video where cardboard backing is used to help form a flat new repair, using fiberglass "woven cloth". Layers can be built up with resin to bring the repair to thicker (and stronger) than the "woven roving" with which the Sunfish was built. MarineTex can be used to fill depressions. For an inexpensive finish, apply white paint to the hull after a light sanding.

The "X" is intended to show a suspicious area, which may have been affected by the puncture—or perhaps is an old repair. It's "your call" whether to involve such a large area. The idea is really to keep water out from between the deck and hull, inside. The yellow foam/adhesive that keeps the Styrofoam blocks in place shouldn't get wet. (Which adds long-term weight you don't want in any sailboat).

Again, check the aluminum trim. Rivets that extend below the trim can cause those unseen encounters you'd rather not have happen. :(

Fullscreen capture 6182021 82229 PM.bmp.jpg

Back