Boat Pics

My son on his Laser in his regatta last weekend. He was the top youth even beating someone 10 years older than him.

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_153817004.jpg
    PXL_20210425_153817004.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 125
Try these vids, might help: launching.https://www.roostersailing.com/blogs/technique-tips/launching-a-laser-on-a-lee-shore And coming back:

WTH???
Both these look like they've been drinking all day. Too much line and confusion on deck. Its not that hard.

I grew up launching and beaching in the Florida surf. Head in...steady...pull the dagger as needed , let the rudder come up ...hit the beach at same time let the sheet out fully. Get out drag the boat on to wet sand while the sail is fully dumped. Never ever had one roll in the surf even in 4 foot waves.

Lasers have a reputation for being much more tippy than a Sunfish with a much more powerful rig. And racers don’t like beaching right on the sand!

Ahhhhh. Still...I would just swing in and point windward, dump the sail.
Even the guy supposing to set the example was fighting lines all over and seemed to struggle.
Clear the decks, plan your landing/offloading.
I don't want to be too critical of the person in the videos, just the technique. I taught tourist renters for years how to land in that surf. I will admit not all were good students....and yes some appeared drunk when they returned. LOL

Well fortunately for us, Sunfish are simpler and more stable. I don’t think he could do much about line. The Laser needs its traveler, and the sheet in a Laser is super-long.

There is a reason you don’t see many people other than racers sail a Laser - they are much more complicated than Sunfish!

Think I’ll try and take “tusk” out 1 or 2 last times.
Who knows maybe she’s priced too high and doesn’t sell

Shouldn't be too hard to step the mast with the tabernacle, you can rig a line from the forestay up to a block on the bow and use that to pull the mast up once you get it going up from the cockpit. Just a little bigger scale than our Day Sailer II. A telescoping mast crutch is useful also.

Nice cabin for the small littles.

You should head over to the Facebook O'Day Sailboat Owners page, there are knowledgeable folks there. O'day Sailboat Owners

WTH???
Both these look like they've been drinking all day. Too much line and confusion on deck. Its not that hard.

I grew up launching and beaching in the Florida surf. Head in...steady...pull the dagger as needed , let the rudder come up ...hit the beach at same time let the sheet out fully. Get out drag the boat on to wet sand while the sail is fully dumped. Never ever had one roll in the surf even in 4 foot waves.
We have similar conditions where I sail and everyone surfs their boat right up onto the beach when they come in and then drags it out of the waves. The trick is to sit right back on the transom to keep the bow up. You get some scratches but no major damage.

Similar boat to my 1977 Mariner , which I got for free! (Had to return the trailer). :(

Now swap the O'Day for a Sunfish (or two).

Parts are cheaper. ;)

Back