Boat Pics

As a first step, shouldn't the boat be on the trolley rather than the gravel :rolleyes:

_
Not sure how to get the trolley into the water from up on the beach since it’s just me. If you’ve got any recommendations, I’m definitely all ears!

Here's Sparky with her big sister, Firefly.
IMG_1438.JPG

I suggest rigging the boat on the dolly, not the gravel!
That pic is from when I just landed. I got out of the boat in the shallows and guided it onto the beach. Pulled the sail down before it was on the dolly becawas so windy.

I did all the rigging on the dolly and wheeled it on the dolly into the lake.

All that said, if you’ve got a better way to get the boat on and off the dolly in the water while solo sailing, let me know.

Not sure how to get the trolley into the water from up on the beach since it’s just me. If you’ve got any recommendations, I’m definitely all ears!
People who launch from a beach without help typically put a temporary mooring in the water to hold the boat while returning the dolly to a safe place on shore. To go sailing, you untie the boat from the mooring and hop in. Hopefully, your mooring will still be there later on, once you return from sailing.

People who launch from a beach without help typically put a temporary mooring in the water to hold the boat while returning the dolly to a safe place on shore. To go sailing, you untie the boat from the mooring and hop in. Hopefully, your mooring will still be there later on, once you return from sailing.
I like that thought!! Would something like this and a small float work?

Attachments

• 3322AB01-5243-4CD4-9FAE-75F2B9117883.jpeg
    3322AB01-5243-4CD4-9FAE-75F2B9117883.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 110

That is the optimal way. The way I typically see it done is you launch the boat, aim it into the wind and give it a push, and run the dolly on to the beach. Reverse the process for landing. In a Laser it when landing it usually works best to totally undo the sheet or else undo the outhaul before running for the dolly.

Lot of nice boats in the group Here is my 73 sunfish, my brother late 60's sunfish my grandpas Windflite and Uncles late 60's sunfish. in order from front to back. not much information out there on the windflite besides its a cheap sunfish basically lol but that boat is faster than any sunfish it has raced. would not mind getting my hands on one as well.
Sunfish's.jpg

Where I sail we solo launch off a beach, often into breaking waves. This involves the boat being on the gravel and then running it into the sea and jumping on, a bit like a bobsleigh ...so we do pick up a few scratches. But it's kind of fun :^D. I can give more details if you like.

Today's last 2 photos, moving boats up into the front yard in prep for Tropical Storm Sally. In NW Florida we are forecast to be on the outer edge of the cone, TS winds and a LOT of rain. forecast 12-16 inches. 2-4 feet of storm surge but it looks like that might happen as it has travelled well past us and should be short lived. We moved the Alcort Catfish SMEDLEY away from the RV and to a spot where she'll get less wind, although she says she'd like to go sailing.

IMG_0513.jpeg

Pulled the runabout off the lift, mostly to protect the lift as a lot of waves could stress the piling it is attached to. Flushed the motor and then put the cover on.

IMG_0514.jpeg

Lot of nice boats in the group Here is my 73 sunfish, my brother late 60's sunfish my grandpas Windflite and Uncles late 60's sunfish. in order from front to back. not much information out there on the windflite besides its a cheap sunfish basically lol but that boat is faster than any sunfish it has raced. would not mind getting my hands on one as well.
The furthest sail is from a Viking [clone-fish].

What does the Sailfish sail appear to give up in performance, since it's a smaller sail?

Most Sailfish sails are for the Super Sailfish (wood) or the Super Sailfish MKii (fiberglass). Those sails are identical to the Sunfish sail.
The original Sailfish sail was the same as the Minifish sail. At least one person on this forum used a Minifish sail on his Sunfish by accident, I think, but I can’t recall the details.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Just had a thought. Having two Sunfish "at the ready" nearby, I could rig one for the standard Sailfish sail. Then I could go sailing on those windy days when I wouldn't normally consider it! :cool:

Pulled the runabout off the lift, mostly to protect the lift as a lot of waves could stress the piling it is attached to. Flushed the motor and then put the cover on.

View attachment 41271
Nice old runabout! 1950s? Homebuilt? Wooden runabouts are still manufactured in Alabama.

I really shouldn’t answer texts in the middle of the night. My response could have been a bit more tactful. Old age insomnia makes me grumpy. Or at least sound that way!

The furthest sail is from a Viking [clone-fish].

What does the Sailfish sail appear to give up in performance, since it's a smaller sail?

So both the sail fish sail and viking sail are on late 60's hauls so a little heaver than the early 70's one but those 2 boats are also slower than the Windflight with a 93 North sail sunfish sail which is faster than my 73 sunfish with OG sail. The north sail really seams to perform better on what ever boat it is on. I want one!

I don’t think you sound grumpy, Seaotter!
My poor wife has been trying to civilize me for 45 years. It is, of course, an impossible task, but every once in a while I try to be polite. The end result is kind of like watching a buffalo walk carefully thru a china shop, But I figure I should get points for trying

Reactions: tag
Took these this morning of the latest addition to the fleet. Craigslist score that I picked up last night.
‘78, she’s needs a couple repairs and some new lines, the rudder and dreaded shadow board look like the original finish, but I paid about $100 less then a class legal race sail. Speaking of sail, it’s a north sail in pretty good shape. Definitely not original.
609D571A-ACC3-449F-B95D-2D40F0DE0340.jpeg
7B4AE32E-0434-454D-A6E5-7BEAEF52E57C.jpeg
7B95CF6F-B71B-449F-A11F-418E7010D058.jpeg

Nice score. Proceed cautiously with the bow handle replacement, leave at least one screw in at a time in case the backer block is loose.

Send the info on that
Before and after (and if you buy that,I have some swampland I sam eager to sell.....)
Send the info on that real estate and I’ll make an offer;)
If it’s as good a deal as the boat I’m all over it.

From my first time ever sailing last weekend on the beater of a sunfish ive been fixing up had a great time and only nearly capsized once haha

Hey Riverb, you got the same beater as I picked up about 60 days ago. I have the original green sail too. I've been refurbishng it. Today I made some good headway. Used a tube of 610. Now for cosmetics and ill be sailing it this week thanks to Alans parts.

Thank you,
And yes she is a ‘74 O’day widgeon.
Looked like this when I dragged her home.View attachment 41202
After untangling the knotted up lines, it turned out all the riggings were there.
After a little toilet bowl cleaner and some googling to figure out how to rig her, she was ready to hit the lake.View attachment 41205View attachment 41205View attachment 41206View attachment 41205
Btw the grey is painted on the nonskid surface, it’s not dirt/grime. Even toilet bowl cleaner couldn’t remove that.
Any ideas on how to remove the paint from the nonskid surfaces?
Don't know of a way to remove it, I would just pick a nice color and paint it neatly over. Maybe even white.

Today's last 2 photos, moving boats up into the front yard in prep for Tropical Storm Sally. In NW Florida we are forecast to be on the outer edge of the cone, TS winds and a LOT of rain. forecast 12-16 inches. 2-4 feet of storm surge but it looks like that might happen as it has travelled well past us and should be short lived. We moved the Alcort Catfish SMEDLEY away from the RV and to a spot where she'll get less wind, although she says she'd like to go sailing.

]
So, how did you weather Tropical Storm Sally?

j/k

;)

For Sally, the boats in the front yard did okay. The boats tied up in the Sunfish Shack not so much...You might look at the stall on the right and notice WAVE on her side, bashing the piling. OBTW the top of the pier pilings are 10 feet above the bottom of the bay, normally in about 2-3 feet of water. At one point they were completely submerged. Luckily the brick kneewall on our back porch acted as a breakwater.

IMG_0544.jpeg

You remember WAVE, right? She started to float away when her bow ripped off, we rescued her and FLOATED her to the Carriage House, which is normally 200 feet inland. She was full off water but did not sink.

WAVE Sally Dmage.jpg

We repaired WAVE and Skipper took her out for Sea Trials early this year, looks like I had some rum before I applied her new stripe and Triumph Trident. Hurricane Sally turned out to be a strong Cat II, just a few knots away from being a major Cat III, we got 36 inches of rain and 8+ feet of surge with storm driven waves on top of that.

F8AFDC5F-6B5B-4706-B979-EBF3B910ADE0.jpeg

WAVE and PHOENIX back in their stalls, PHOENIX needed a deck and side plank graft as well. The Sunfish Shack stood strong, all we had to replace was the ramp. The trailer park decking to the right was stripped away, about 20 feet of 2x6x12. SLO Sail and Canvas kindly sent WAVE a new cover, hers was shredded during the storm.

5F682D3C-440B-471B-80A9-DB8544760FF8.jpeg

Latest last photo, Skipper's 1980 Drascombe Lugger ONKAHYE showing off her new guide post LED lights, new bearings and radial tires. The hubs would have been underrwater during Sally, which occured on the same day as Ivan 16 years earlier.

C637C5F1-DF2A-4BFC-B47A-8AA4BFB21009.jpeg

Back