Boat Pics

signal charlie

Staff member
Share the last boat picture you took...

IMG_0417.jpeg

What are you working on here Andy?
Removing some square footage from the leech of a regular sized Sunfish sail. In the original photo above I'm setting up to make a curving pencil mark along the slightly bent PVC tubing before hot knifing through the sail. Making a curved cut where the new leech is going to be allows the leech to be tight and with no fluttering even though you don't have any battens.

I then took it to my sewing machine, re-sewed the leech, put in a couple of new stainless steel grommets over reinforced patches on either end of the leech and that was it. Below is a photo of the new, smaller sail laying on top of a standard size Sunfish sail. I did this as an experiment to see if 110 lb Jeannie (my "Scooter" to Signal Charlie's "Skipper") could sail the Sunfish with a less powerful sail. It worked.

- Andy

small-on-top.jpg

Last edited:
what did you do to that poor train table?
The train table was built by my Dad over the last twenty years. He started it in Florida and slowly moved it up to Wisconsin. It was his plan to spend half the year up there but he had a business to run and he was never able to work from Wisconsin. As an "N" scale modeler myself, I had wanted to work on it with him but we ran out of time. If I ever am able to spend a lot of time there, I may reduce the size and finish it at some point.

Just finished repainting the desk on my '85 Sunfish and took it out on it's maiden voyage yesterday. I almost slid off while tacking. :oops: Hopefully, I can finish the hull over the winter.
Nice colors!
I especially like the idea of running the tie down straps through a pool noodle. That should give a snug-but-not-too-snug ride with the side benefit of giving your booms/sail/mast a place to rest comfortably while traveling.

gzblack2 Good job! Is that a Widgeon?

Norcalsail what did you do to that poor train table?
Thank you,
And yes she is a ‘74 O’day widgeon.
Looked like this when I dragged her home.
CCC4FCAB-0614-47D7-901C-A09E53E67B33.jpeg

After untangling the knotted up lines, it turned out all the riggings were there.
After a little toilet bowl cleaner and some googling to figure out how to rig her, she was ready to hit the lake.
695594C3-ABB7-4B55-A7E5-3B29D7DA1521.jpeg
70147C1E-B421-4C3A-8CFE-DB8598AA40E5.jpeg

Btw the grey is painted on the nonskid surface, it’s not dirt/grime. Even toilet bowl cleaner couldn’t remove that.
Any ideas on how to remove the paint from the nonskid surfaces?

Attachments

• 5FB00BF8-A901-477B-BCB8-9B2256F53E23.jpeg
    5FB00BF8-A901-477B-BCB8-9B2256F53E23.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Nice colors!
I especially like the idea of running the tie down straps through a pool noodle. That should give a snug-but-not-too-snug ride with the side benefit of giving your booms/sail/mast a place to rest comfortably while traveling.

Thanks! I really liked the color scheme LP used in 2016 so I recreated it on mine. My son thinks it's the same as a Shelby Cobra which when I looked online I guess it is. As far as the booms/sail/mast, I'm still tying them to my roof rack. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket in case something goes wrong.

Back