Boat Names

my boat at the moment is called "Salome Nevara" after the biblical temptress who had her lover cut of john the batists head and serve it to her on a silver platter and the "nevara" bit is laser in elvish, my last boat was "Serkel Nevara" with Serkel being both elvish for blood star (the boat was red) and an elvish swearword (unintentional)

my friends sail "the mean green machene" "hydra" "haka" and "jetstream"

"OK, I'll be the dumb guy who says "I don't get it." - some sort of wordplay on "buoy racer" I assume... maybe it's one of those Brit/USA things that gets lost in translation?"

The brits pronounce it correctly as "boy racer", and the pun makes sense. However the yanks pronouce it boo-ee, so it doesn't work so well. As a Brit living in Michigan, it's not the only thing they can't pronouce...:)

And what's a vang anyway (Kicking Strap back home).

in reference to the laser most people over here that i speak to seem to use "vang" now because thats what the new control lines are called in the price lists

I don't have a name on my laser but my IOR one tonner is named "Obsessive Behavior". Which could be fitting for many of us "blow boaters" as one of my stink pot friends calls us.

Once, when I was compliting the entry form for the regatta, I desided to fill the column "name of the boat" what i have never done before. I had no better idea of "Otto Bismark" as a German`s battle ship, which was sunk by Britanes. Just for a joke!
In the first racing day I`ve got a big hole (about 20x20sm) in the bottom from "470".

172334 said:
Once, when I was compliting the entry form for the regatta, I desided to fill the column "name of the boat" what i have never done before. I had no better idea of "Otto Bismark" as a German`s battle ship, which was sunk by Britanes. Just for a joke!
In the first racing day I`ve got a big hole (about 20x20sm) in the bottom from "470".

Yikes! Maybe I should change my boat's name from Merrily. The boat's got the idea that we are just out there to have fun. :mad:

Contingency II

Being that my bass boat is Contingency

And II lived up to its name yesterday, Sailing in high winds, I broke the mast clean out of the deck. :(

Which is why I signed up for this sight, someone has to have good advise on fixing this!

phyregod said:
Contingency II

Being that my bass boat is Contingency

And II lived up to its name yesterday, Sailing in high winds, I broke the mast clean out of the deck. :(

Which is why I signed up for this sight, someone has to have good advise on fixing this!

Get some pictures and post them in a new topic...also do a search under "mast step repairs" here and see what advise has been given before. The pictures will help in getting advise specific for your situation. There are many here with more knowldege than I ...I have done 2 repairs 1 with a kit and one without.

Picture would be worth a 1000 words here.

We've decided on 'Barrabas'....I think the biblical refrences are fitting for this boat's history...

my current boats are called "Jen 3", named after my gf n being my third boat, "the other women", "rampant" and "gonads" my gf n her friend usually sail it though in wmens titles... n say they have the race by the balls

Many years ago I wanted to call a boat I had "Smuggling Drugs". It was 12m and the name was really for the benefit of use over the VHF This is the yacht .... However, I was quite rightly dissuaded and the boat ended up with a name that followed the "family sequence" (most boats in the family have the same name as part of a sequence).

Ian

Deimos said:
Many years ago I wanted to call a boat I had "Smuggling Drugs". It was 12m and the name was really for the benefit of use over the VHF This is the yacht .... However, I was quite rightly dissuaded and the boat ended up with a name that followed the "family sequence" (most boats in the family have the same name as part of a sequence).

Ian

Our powerboat is named Captive, and when we radio marinas, they think we are saying "Captain." It's like a "who's on third" skit. We know you are the Captain, what's your boat's name?

Hey, we just bought an old trailerable cruiser, a Starwind 223. We are thinking of calling her "Evening Star." Does anybody have any other cool ideas with "star" names?

My favourite right now is WIMSI, as seen on one of our old club boats.

Invert the boat with that on the transom and you'll see why:)

my opti was named big penguin :) [yes, there is a story behind that one]

Merrily said:
Hey, we just bought an old trailerable cruiser, a Starwind 223. We are thinking of calling her "Evening Star." Does anybody have any other cool ideas with "star" names?
well, my friend had a bluejay named whitestar, and is getting a j24 and namin it whitestar II

{Apologies for bumping an old thread}
I've named mine after what my late dad named all his boats since the late 1940's, "Wyreema". (Source of the name can be found here).
However, it's nickname given by our locals is "Team Gherkin" cause of its lime green colour! heh heh
teamgherkin20092ox7.gif

My first boat i named "The geen legend", it had a darkgreen waterline, and was unique in belgium. My latest is plain white, and i got it just as a friend of mine died, his name was jef, so de boat's name is "J-force"

I named my boat Tang for several reasons:

1. It is from the 70's when the powdered drink was prevelant
2. The hull is a horrible color of orange that defies any other description
3. There is a fish called the Tang (weak, I know)
4. You can make alot of double entredre jokes out of it.

If you don't get #4, let me know and give you a example.

thanks a lot anyway.
I called (it? her?) the boat PEJINO, it is the spanish name for people born in a spanish town called Laredo (where my parents own a flat and I it is a plae that I love). I am mexican and live in mexico.
thanks, i learned abour a Scots boat, with a maori name and a brazilian story. It was nice.

here are a couple that got mentioned in the special features of Finding Nemo :p:p lol:
sea monkey
knottie buoy
pier pressure
skiff-a-dee-do-dah
the surly mermaid

Back