Boat Modifications

Josh_Hayes

What type of modifications have you done to your boat?

What type of mods would you recommend to get the best out of your sailing experience?

What commericial modifications are available?

Do you have any ideas, plans, or pictures of home-built mods?

Have any modification stories, experiences, or warnings to share with others?

I think that depends on whether you are going to be racing or daysailing. There are rules against many mods for racing. Many of the things you can do for ease of use for cruising around like a furler or reefing might take the edge off your boat if you were going to race her. I'm not a racer , so I don't know much about that. I have made several mods to make life easier for daysailing, but I never did any that couldn't be undone if I ever did want to race her. Tell us all about your boat and what you entend to use her for.:)

I replaced my Mod 2 Cubitaner with a sealed, teak hatch door. (Picture attached)

Attachments

• hatch-door.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 625
Larry,

Are the lines used to raise/lower the centerboard on your boat factory or have you modified them to run along the footboard? I have patched screw holes where you have a block. My lines go through two blocks then around and down the center of the cockpit parallel to the centerboard and attach to the barney post at two cam cleats. I have a 3rd edition manual which I believe is for a newer model hull, and what I have is pictured in the manual. Is this a difference between the Mod 1 and 2's?

Is it possible to replace the Mod 1's teak parts with their Mod 2 & 3 fiberglass counterparts? For example the spray rail

Since taking the picture, I relocated the lines to the center because I single hand mostly. Since there are fewer blocks in the path of the line, the centerboard seems to work better as well. I like the new method (center) better

You did a wonderful job with that wood Larry, Its looks put mine to shame. :) Josh, I have done the cuddy conversion as well, installed roller furling, a boomkicker, mains'l reefing, mast flotation, a motor mount, and several little things just to make things a little more enjoyable for me.

In the first picture posted above by Larry, there are two holes on either side of the cubby on the front of the seats. On my boat, there is a bungee type cord that runs between the two, which also loops under the hiking straps. What is its purpose, other than to make it difficult to open and close the cubby hatch ?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I think the bungee under the hiking straps is to raise the hiking straps and make it easier to stick your feet under them as you hike out. I have them same holes in mine. Anyone have suggestions on whether I should plug them or how?

Rudy

If that's all there for, then I am moving the cord down (two new holes), and using MarineTex to fill the old holes. I want to hinge the new cubby door I'm building, similiar to the way Larry did his.

Dave

Here's my new cubby door. I made it from Taco Marine Wood (synthetic, and guaranteed not to rot) I still haven’t added the teak back on, even though it looks really good since I refinished it.

Attachments

• door.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 256
  • door2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 245
Jib Car

Some people take part the Jib Car to cut off the knurled knob. Here is a quick and dirty way to keep the jib sheet from getting tangled without cutting any hardware. Make a small collar. Mine is of wood, but other materials will do just fine.

Attachments

• JibCar.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 316
Battery Charger

My Capri 14.2 sits on a trailer at the club during the week. There is no electricity around so I mounted a solar battery charger to refresh teh battery. Here is a solar battery charger mounted on the stern. It removes easily for sailing

Attachments

• Solar.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 193
Dave Lilley said:
If that's all there for, then I am moving the cord down (two new holes), and using MarineTex to fill the old holes. I want to hinge the new cubby door I'm building, similiar to the way Larry did his.

Dave

Other than moving the holes, you can remove the bungee and bolt a small stainless eye into each hole. Then just use a bungee cord with hooks with hooking through the eye bolts. Unhook it when you want ot get in the fore peak and when your boats not in use. You'll never wear another bungee out in that application.

rjsailnsd said:
Other than moving the holes, you can remove the bungee and bolt a small stainless eye into each hole. Then just use a bungee cord with hooks with hooking through the eye bolts. Unhook it when you want ot get in the fore peak and when your boats not in use. You'll never wear another bungee out in that application.

That's a good idea. I will do that instead.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Dave

Back