Boat Launch / storage

Barnacle-Bill

I have a floating dock that I want to launch my Scorpion from, and store it on. Any suggestions as to what would simplify my launches? Right now, I'm pulling it up (arghh!) and then pushing it off. I do have marine fenders on the floater edge, but I am looking for a way to make all of this easier and not so damaging to the hull.

I have a floating dock that I want to launch my Scorpion from, and store it on. Any suggestions as to what would simplify my launches? Right now, I'm pulling it up (arghh!) and then pushing it off. I do have marine fenders on the floater edge, but I am looking for a way to make all of this easier and not so damaging to the hull.

Bill,

This is hard to picture. Is the floating dock attached to a steep or rocky incline such that you can't lug it onto a beach? I'd be afraid of the boat being blown away (or swiped). Congrats on your refurbed boat; it looks real good.

It is hard to visualize, but I'll take a guess: Could you bolt/screw a roller, such as those used on trailers, to the edge of the dock? Perhaps on the side, but slightly higher than the deck to roll the boat on deck instead of dragging it? Also, if it is a steep pitch, high off the water, maybe you could add a winch on the other side of the dock (elevated) to assist pulling it up and over the roller. Exterior type carpet also helps pad hard scratchy surfaces.

Just a guess. Good Luck.

So, its my own dock coming off a rip-rapped shoreline. Then I have a floating dock that is about 8 inches above the water. I plan on storing the boat on the floater and being that it's about 16' long, it is cumbersome to situate and launch. I though of the trailer rollers too, but was wondering if anyone has dealt with this situation before and came up with a solution. I just redid the hull and would like to spare her the launch and relaunch sequences to her pretty bottom.

Boat rollers, mortised into the floating dock deck, would be cool as heck. If your boat is going to be stored on the dock, I would go with a couple rollers, and then a set of carpeted bunks where it will rest. Add a coupe of eye hooks to strap it down for storms, and fashion the bunks as such as to be able to flip the hull bottom up, for repairs, or long term storage. Wish I had a floating dock, I'm building this in my head and want one. I'm stuck with putting mine on and off the trailer an the beach, at my own house because the City wont allow me to keep a sunfish on the beach! (but hobie cats are ok)

If you search the Forum, you might find useful info because the topic isn't new. Some have suggested a (second-hand) PWC hoist. Others have built systems to lift the boat up from the water. Yet another solution is to have a mini-ramp with floats on the lower end.

For searching, try 'hoist', 'lift' and 'davits' (individually).

If you search the Forum, you might find useful info because the topic isn't new. Some have suggested a (second-hand) PWC hoist. Others have built systems to lift the boat up from the water. Yet another solution is to have a mini-ramp with floats on the lower end.

For searching, try 'hoist', 'lift' and 'davits' (individually).
Thanks for the tip. I did "search" but so far the idea of the poly trailer rollers may be the best idea. I was thinking of engineering a "rail system" where I could tilt a "ramp" into the water equipped with rollers and a winch and then pull her onto the floating dock. But, I didn't want to spend a ton of $$. I already have a hoist for my jet-ski on the dock and thought could be a last resort ($1,800)! Just wondered if someone had the perfect solution.

I have the exact same issue. I just lift the bow of my Sunfish up as high as I can and pull it up over the edge of the dock, then set the hull against the rubber bump strip on the side of the floating dock and piviot it up onto the float rather than dragging it. It is still not as good as having a Seitech dolly so I can drag the whole boat up the bank without taking the sail down, but they cost more than a Sunfish.

Make sure you tie the hull down on the floating dock. One of my neighbors had a laser sitting on his floating pier (not tied down) and a 75 mph wind came through here during a thunderstorm and it picked it up and blew it into some trees on shore.

I'll add to this by listing a few brand names I have found for floating launch docks:

EZ-Dock
Accudock (needs to be just a little wider and longer... idea http://www.accudock.com/support-install-safe-launch-dock.shtml)

Although, after thinking about it, I think if I could do whatever I wanted for a project like this, I would attach a hinged floating section which I could pump water in and out of the end (barrels or similar) to emulate a beach launch, but with the ability to sink under or lift out of the water when filled with air. A sump or bilge type pump could be used - and a snorkle type tube for the air to get into the float tanks, but pretty simple. Put a couple poles underneath the connecting dock to hit the slope dock and bottom out at a certain angle. Make the slope nice and long and cover it with astroturf.

I keep my Sunfish on a similar dock. It is easy enough to just pull it up onto dock. Nothing abrasive to do any real damage. Goose poop provides lubrication:rolleyes:.

Back