Boat Cover and Trailer Tie Down

Mile High

Hi to all,
My wife and I recently purchased a new 14.2 (Hull number 5280). It seems to be quite a coincidence since we live in the Denver area.
I need advice on two subjects.
1. Securing the boat cover to the boat-
Right now I have the grommets fastened to the trailer frame with bungee cords.
I am not sure if that is a good practice and what the best approach is when the boat is not on the trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. What are good methods for securing the boat to the trailer when towing?

Thanks,

Ken

To attach the boat to the trailer, use the bow eye to attach the trailer winch line to. Back that line up with a short safty line just incase the winch should fail.
Across the back of the boat, I use a ratcheting tie down that I hook to the trailer on either side . I use bungees to secure the mast to the boat and trailer. This is the way I do it but I'm sure others have great ways too.

If you use a ratcheting tie-down (which I also use) across the back of the boat, make sure you use a wide one, the wider the better. Those 1" straps which are readily available will damage the rub rail. I use a 2" strap, and I insert an old piece of carpet where it meets the rub rail on each side before tightening.

Also, make sure not to overtighten! You don't need much to keep the boat secure.

Ken, where are you located? I'm in Arvada.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,
I am in NW Longmont.
Here is the contact information is you ever want to contact me directly.

Ken Kinyon
34 Princeton Circle
Longmont, CO 80503
303 684-0037

[email protected]

thanks again,
Ken

My trailer has a stainless steel turnbuckel that is attached to the mast support on the trailer and hooks into the bow eye on the boat for trailering. This way I an not relying on the winch rope to hold the boat to the trailer. I also use two of the wide nylon straps to hold the boat down to the trailer.
Bungie cords are great to hold the cover on the boat but I always take the cover off the boat when I am trailering the boat on the road. The flapping is hard on the cover and the ends of the bungie cords will rub on the gelcoat.

Thanks
Roger Lohrey

Back