Bloody Books!

Paul 164965

After reading Paul Goodison's Laser book I decided to follow the easy three step advice and straighten my top section. Unfortunately after performing this I discovered there are actually six steps to this procedure and step 4, 5 and 6 were missing. So for the benefit of others here's the full list.

Step 1 - Support the mast section on a suitable elevated object
Step 2 - Rotate the mast until the bend is uppermost
Step 3 - Apply downward pressure until mast section is straight

Step 4 - Keep applying until you suddenly fall face first to the ground
Step 5 - Pick up and admire your new 2 piece top section. Now swear loudly for a long time
Step 6 - Throw both pieces in the lake, walk off mumbling to yourself and order a new one

On with the Laser adventure then :eek::):)

This made me laugh so much!!! Sorry by the way...

Plus if he snapped it in two whilst trying to straighten it, it probably wouldn't be long enough for a boom. But a potato canon could be plausible.

They usually always break right at the f%^*ing rivet in the mast collar, whether from sailing or straightening back on shore..

It's another builder "method" that ensures a use/replace/use/replace cycle :mad:

After reading Paul Goodison's Laser book I decided to follow the easy three step advice and straighten my top section. Unfortunately after performing this I discovered there are actually six steps to this procedure and step 4, 5 and 6 were missing. So for the benefit of others here's the full list.

Step 1 - Support the mast section on a suitable elevated object
Step 2 - Rotate the mast until the bend is uppermost
Step 3 - Apply downward pressure until mast section is straight

Step 4 - Keep applying until you suddenly fall face first to the ground
Step 5 - Pick up and admire your new 2 piece top section. Now swear loudly for a long time
Step 6 - Throw both pieces in the lake, walk off mumbling to yourself and order a new one

On with the Laser adventure then :eek::):)

That's awsome! Whew! Thank for the laugh!

Dude, funniest thing I've read in a while, legend!

On a serious note, I used to straight my old top section (some 6 years ago) with a beer keg at either end, sit on it and bounce up and down to straighten. As soon as I rammed on the vang for the first beat it was permanently bent again.

and the moral of the story is....

End for end your top section... I would imagine it was cracked before you attempted to straighten it though I have never heard of one breaking like that that was not already at least partially cracked.

You can normally tell by looking at the break, clean and light coloured will be new, dull and dorty will be the old.

Reminds me I must end for end mine sooner rather than later!

Yep your right, it shows signs of going on the rivet hole and that's where it broke. To be honest I'm glad I did it in many ways. Earlier in the season a Laser at the club showed what a snapped mast on the water can do to a new radial sail and its not pretty. Ive purchased a new one of Lasers finest so now I can forget about it for a while. Price wise although it's expensive for a piece of scaffold tube it's a lot cheaper than the full carbon mast on the EPS I used to race

I,m planning on coming down on Sunday And I'm hoping to do the winter series so hopefully I'll see you there. Cheers for the info

Back