Blatantly Non-Class Legal Laser Modifications

Attachments

• ready-to-race.jpg
    ready-to-race.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 75
I still get called a cheat for using a rooster 8.1 rig in light airs.
Because you are unless you're sailing portsmouth or some other handicap system that actually has a number for the rooster rig. Remember, most handicap systems, (like PHRF and Portsmouth) ratings are based on a boat sailing in it's OD configuration. Most have adjustments for things like oversized headsails, spin poles and such, but that typically applies to keel boats.

This thread is funny. If you want to see what's ultimately possible with a fairly wide open development class just check out the International Moth. That's ultimately what's "possible" in dingy monohull design for speed but it is also significantly more complicated to sail it.

So do you want development for speed or ease of use because the two don't go hand in hand.

My Laser does not race. I have used it for 38 years now as a fun machine. Of all the little non-legal tweaks, I have to say swapping out the rudder for a vertical, deeper (read, Hobie 16 blade) rudder (shaved down a bit to fit the standard Laser rudder head) has been the most rewarding mod. And yes, it makes the boat faster.

The rules for mainsheet are that It has to be uniform diameter so as long as it meets that standard

The rules for mainsheet are that It has to be uniform diameter so as long as it meets that standard
Every line on a Laser has to be of uniform thickness... except at a splice. The length of a legal splice isn’t given, but it obviously shouldn’t include any ”extra” tapering. Likewise, you can’t have an extra connecting line like Pierson has :rolleyes: But it all looks like a fun exercise anyway ;)
So splicing the sheet is in itself legal but impractical - the standard practice with a figure eight allows for fairly easy attachment/disengagement on the water.

_

If it blows less than 8kts more then 80% of the year and fewer than 5 Laser's show up on the line, sometimes none, why not?

Future sailing in training aboard.

Attachments

• 20190718_183106.jpg
    20190718_183106.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 69
Well, Rob, I like to think there are no equal or more skilled skippers :). But yes, when I changed rudders I started outpacing my sailing mates. Now several of them (we never race or need to be legal) have also gone to the rudder change and they are happier and a threat again to my standing.

Back