Blade Paint

So I repainted my blades last year, and the paint comes off easier than it should. Is there a specific type of paint to use, or is there a step in prep that can avoid this?

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

Pop-n-Jack said:
So I repainted my blades last year, and the paint comes off easier than it should. Is there a specific type of paint to use, or is there a step in prep that can avoid this?

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

The instructions with my new boat said if the blades needed painting to use Krylon brand. They sell it at Sherwin Williams.

salsa 88082 said:
why on earth would you paint your blades?

If you wear through the white surface to the yellow stuff underneath, it's nice to put on some more paint... otherwise you will eventually wear through to the point that water contacts the metal reinforcing rods inside the blade, at which point the blade is toast pretty quickly, especially if you sail in salt water.

Or, if you repair dings in your blades, it is nice to paint over the repair.

One thing not to do is what I did last year -- I put a coat of primer on first and then sprayed enamel (I believe they were both one of the Rust-Oleum brands designed for wet environments -- the primer is way too soft and the first time I sailed I started scraping the paint off the board just by sliding it up and down in the trunk. Hence my other thread asking about paint stripper (previous owner put some kind of random paint on, too.)

Also, if you have those old wooden blades (ahem....), you need to have them sealed with paint so that they don't swell.

anyway, I used marine grade "stripe" paint, the kind meant for waterline areas on large boats. They also had a keel paint meant for below-the-waterline, but it was $20 more for a quart. Also, I didn't use a primer but sanded the board smooth before applying multiple very thin coats of the paint. Let each coat bake in the sun for at least a week, possibly two weeks until it's hard and completely dried.

you should always use a primer for things that are in water all the time, finish paints don,t have the sealing and bonding agents that primers have. marine grade paints should be used for the finish coats and proper dry and cure times need to be followed.read the cans for specific details for each product. marine paints are expensive but are worth it in the long run.if you follow the directions you should get a good two years out of them. it all depends on how many times you sail and how much rubbing in and out of the dagger board slot.i paint for a living and that would (will) be the way i will refinish my laser this winter...........terry

Back