Black Block and Blue Blocks What's the difference

OldDog

Hi everyone
In looking thorugh a catalog I noticed that they listed two type of blocks for Lasers (Black and Blue). The blue blocks cost a little more. Aside from the color what is the performance difference?

Hi

From the technical side: no difference. Both are produced by "Holt" ( http://www.holt.eu/ ), only difference: the color.

From the color:
blue older ones: in black or in violet:
"builder supplied" blocks by "PSA" Australia / "LaserPerformance" Ltd. (UK/USA)

in color grey:
offerd by Holt via authorized shops.

Perhaps, ILCA measurers do not accept the grey coloured blocks at major events (never heard about such issues) and may say the grey ones are "replika", but this I do not know exact.

Ciao
LooserLu

Perhaps, ILCA measurers do not accept the grey coloured blocks at major events (never heard about such issues) and may say the grey ones are "replika", but this I do not know exact.

Ciao
LooserLu

Hm. I broke the sister hook of the traveler block, and got a new one, and it's grey. I have one grey and one blue. I've sailed several major events and never heard anything about it.

As far as I am aware as long as they have the correct part number from HOLT then they are class legal.

Don't forget you also have the new Harken all in 1 assembly to play with now. I do notice that a lot of the top guys are still using the old setup though.....

.... they are class legal....
So, where is the text in the class rules, that exact do permit them, thanks (would help me)? To note: I am a bit "theoretical"/ "counting peas" here now, yes I know. But sailing some major events with the grey blocks and not haveing been asked by a measurer to change to the "Original builder supplied" ones (color blue black or violet) is not sufficient enough for me to claim: the grey ones are "persé" "class legal". ;)

Ciao
LooserLu

Holt has made various coloured laser blocks (blues, greys, black etc) over the years, they are all class legal and apart from colour they are identical. Recently, Harken has started to make the new class legal laser blocks and currently they are only made in black, these new blocks are roller bearing and run more freely than the Holt blocks and the traveller block unit is now a single piece meaning that you no longer need to tape the unit together. Overall, the Harken blocks provide a small performance advantage over the old Holt style blocks, but it will take some time to work out if they last as well.

All also add there are counterfeit (for the sake of a better term) Holt blocks on the market, which are obviously not class legal.

Back