Black and Blue blocks: what's the difference?

GeoffS

I need to get a new traveler block for my boat and I just noticed that APS sells both the black and blue versions:
Blue, $18.25: http://apsltd.com/Tree/d9000/e7328.asp
Black, $12.00: http://apsltd.com/Tree/d9000/e7334.asp

My boat has black blocks on it now, but if the blue ones are better (more expensive = better?), then I'll switch to them.

Just BTW, are the brummel-hooks on the black and blue blocks the same/compatible? (i.e. can I hook a blue small traveler block to a black large mainsheet block?)

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I have an older boat with the black/grey Holt Allen blocks, and a new boat with the blue blocks (that look like they might by Holt's but not sure) No diff in the blocks themselves, or the brummels, they will interchange w/o problem

I'd be sort of surprised if APS still has black ones.
The difference is that the black ones have a small screw holding the block together. The screw has no structural purpose or benefit. It just pulls the cheeks together.
The blue blocks are riveted together. The rivet goes all the way through the block, as though it were through-bolted. This is a bunch stronger, especially since sometimes the torque applied to the block is pulling the cheeks apart.
There is one advantage to the black, in that the block can be decontructed easily and thus is easily completely cleaned. I don't see this as a big benefit.
I'd use blue. That's what we supply the boats with, so we've implicitly decided on your behalf that it's worth it on a new boat.

Dave,

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me while it's somewhat related. After the switch from the black plastic parts like the traveler blocks, bow eye, daggerboard stopper set or the plastic mast caps, someone told me they switched to the blue plastic because it was stronger or dencer or more reliable or whatever. Is this true or is it the same plastic but just another color?

Thanks in adavance!!

Purely color. The coloring agent is just powder that gets added to the mix, and has no impact on strength.
Every action spawns rumours in Laser supply.

The cost differential is similar up here in Canada, upon inspection they are identical even down to the rivets.

I had to replace my black one (small traveler block) as the bushing of the wheel is now oval and does not slide smoothly.

I have discovered that a Brazilian company 'Nautos' sells identical laser hardware for a fraction of the "official" laser hardware. The parts are identical in every way. My small block was $6.50CDN, more than half the cost GREEDY Vanguard sells the parts for. The other real deal is that Nautos sells the complete bailer for $25CDN which is a 1/3rd of the price that the crooks sell it for.

www.nautos.com.br there is a section that has dinghy parts

Dave Kirkpatrick said:
Purely color. The coloring agent is just powder that gets added to the mix, and has no impact on strength.
Just another curiosty I wasn't aware of until now: I ordered a replacement block from West Marine (no color choice). It arrived with the rivets, etc. but the color was not black or blue, but dark grey!

Cheers,

Geoff S.

GeoffS said:
Just another curiosty I wasn't aware of until now: I ordered a replacement block from West Marine (no color choice). It arrived with the rivets, etc. but the color was not black or blue, but dark grey!

Cheers,

Geoff S.

That's the color of the block I was talking about in my earlier post (it's not the old screwed together block that Dave K talks about). It could have been made by a different supplier prior to Vanguard being the builder.

Back