BigFish by Island Packet

mabrari

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard of BigFish made by Island Packet? I just bought a 2007 model and trying to restore it. Where do you get parts for it or any information at all for that matter? Scouring the Web and can't find anything short of basic info in sailboatdata.com and few pictures here and there. Sent an e-mail to Island Packet customer service, no answer yet. Thanks!

Sunfish on steroids!!

Attachments

• Majid on BigFish.jpeg
    Majid on BigFish.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 91
There are a few threads on this site but not a lot of information. I really like the compartment in the cockpit. Way more functional than the current cubby.

I don't think they were made for very long. Finding parts could be a challenge - that tends to be a problem with a lot of "clonefish."

Reactions: tag
I was able to talk to Island Packet customer service and factory design team which it happens to be located near where I live here in Clearwater Florida. They asked for the hull number and can provide all the technical details and specs from the original design. As far as parts, with the exception of the sail, mast, spars and dagger board, everything else is compatible with regular Sunfish.

As far as parts, with the exception of the sail, mast, spars and dagger board, everything else is compatible with regular Sunfish.
So, I'm assuming that means it has the same gudgeon as a regular Sunfish?

Thanks,

- Andy

I think the gudgeon is different.

Here's a picture of the rudder.
1662577770176.png

And a picture of the gudgeon.
1662577850890.png

It's possible that the sunfish rudder pintle might fit but I don't think so.

Looks like it might be Laser-compatible part. It certainly is not Sunfish compatible.
Agreed. Thanks!

Here's one reason I was asking. Check out the middle photo here. It's a picture of a "Big Fish Top Cover". Notice the gudgeon. Looks like a regular Sunfish gudgeon to me (see zoomed in photo below). However, you guys have proved my suspicion that "Lil Bum 2" is actually a Sunfish, not a Big Fish.

Cheers,

- Andy

Top Cover Zoomed.png

This is the rudder that came with the boat.

Attachments

• Rudder 1.jpeg
    Rudder 1.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Rudder 2.jpeg
    Rudder 2.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 66
Here is a file picture I found. Note the way main sheet is rigged. There is a block at the center of the bridle (traveller) in which end of the mainsheet runs through it and attaches to the end of the boom. Is that the way you guys run your main sheet in your Sunfish? This thing is a beast at 265 lbs.

Attachments

• BigFish Rigged.jpeg
    BigFish Rigged.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 83
Lil Bum sure looks like a Sunfish, made by Laser Performance (LP).
The made in USA sticker indicates that the boat was made before LP took Sunfish manufacturing to the UK.

Here is a file picture I found. Note the way main sheet is rigged. There is a block at the center of the bridle (traveller) in which end of the mainsheet runs through it and attaches to the end of the boom. Is that the way you guys run your main sheet in your Sunfish? This thing is a beast at 265 lbs.
You can do that on a Sunfish but most do not. If 265 is the factory weight that might be indicative of why that boat was not successful.

Yeah 265 lbs is the factory weight but the boat was designed for cruising, not racing. I was alone in 20 knots of wind yesterday and the boat felt incredibly fast and stable. It's 3 ft longer and a foot wider than regular Sunfish with more than enough room for 2 adults and a small cooler in the locker. An electric motor like Kayak Propulsion Systems | Outboard Motor Systems will complete the picture. Can't wait to explore the Island chains around here.

Attachments

• BigFish Data.png
    BigFish Data.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
There are a few threads on this site but not a lot of information. I really like the compartment in the cockpit. Way more functional than the current cubby.
I think this will help you.

Attachments

• 1670818724313.png
    1670818724313.png
    451.2 KB · Views: 51

Back