Big Job, Laser Repair Video

Flusha

Just found this guy on youtube. Do not envy him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7G_CIJi_k&feature=related"]YouTube - ( Crawdad Outdoors ) rebuilding a laser sailboat[/ame]

He posted this video today.

Re: Big Job

That was horrifying. I can't believe I actually watched both videos. I really want my 10 minutes back.. sad.

Carbon Fiber?

Re: Big Job

Didn't want to be negative hey? At least he's giving it a go. Young guy with kinda the right idea.

Re: Big Job, Laser Repair in Slow Mo

hi, i am the maker of this video, i jsut bot that boat about a weeks ago, and i like to buy old stuff and try to repair it, oo, and ya i am 16 years old, and been sailing about 2 years now ( lasers ), oh and i am no longer goin to use carbon fiber ( to much and i can use it in a regatta ), sorry i don't no any of that fancey video stuff, ill be puosting a new vid after i buy some marine paint

oo, i for got 1 thing, does any one no how to fix a laser deck, the two parts u sit on and the foot area are kind of soft ( only when being washed or sailed ), you can email me at [email protected]

Laser_Racer, Tell these fanatics here to kiss your back side! Good on you for tackling an older boat and keeping it out of the landfill. Also, its good to see young people doing something besides video games and graffiti! Is that your younger brother running the camera?:cool:

I'll send you an email, I've done quite a bit of fiberglass repair and might be able to help you out a little on what you have here.

How's the rest of the boat? Do you have complete rigging, sail, etc?

Keep the vids coming!
Flat.

Laser Racer,

Before you do any painting or whatever it is you might do. Consider this,

It seems like it might be a bit of work, but I think it would come out nice on a laser. I want to try it out on some parts on my hull, but, I am too chicken.

Also, you talked about the laser class rules, there is a section in it that mentions something about sanding gelcoat off the hull, you may want to look into this.

Ryan, please forgive my rude and classless comments earlier in this thread!!!:( What you have taken on is nothing short of a great and noble challange and I'm am sorry for slamming your gallant effort. You represent the enthusiastic youth that will certainly bring life to any organization that is lucky enough to have you as a member.

I will look forward to see the progress you make on your restoration project!

This forum contains volumes of shared expertise that you will undoubtly benefit from as well as contribute to.

Best of luck!

Eric :)

Good on ya guys for sending in your apologies, you're off my list!;) Flat.

Good on ya guys for sending in your apologies, you're off my list!;) Flat.
You are EXACTLY right and I was WAY off! Thank you for standing up for the good guy! I should know better!

With his attitude and energy we will all get to see another laser restored.

Eric

thank you all, and i like projecks like this, keeps me busy, i volenter at a local sailing yacht club i used to race for, and i help repair boat too, i have most of the riggin and stuff, i just need to get a rudder and tiller combo, a radail sail, and a vang, and that is pretty much it

The name of this thread seems to change as much as the opinion's in it? Admin??

That's what I meant with "my bad." Thread title as editorial. I've changed it now to something more informational that Big Job, but less judgemental than Laser Repair in Slow Mo. :eek:

i plan to pop the deck off my hull in the near future. you need to sand to the gel coat

Whoa, are you sure? That's not necessarily such a great idea.

Most repairs that need to be done on the inside of the hull can be done by getting access via cutting inspection ports.

In addition to the big job of glueing them back together, there's the non-trivial problem of making sure that all the alignment points (such as mast step, cockpit drain) line up and get sealed properly.

I don't want to throw water on the idea of any repairs you want to make, just suggest that there might be a better (less intrusive/destructive) approach.

the whole hull is soft so ill probably sand a strip along the sides and fiberglass balsa along the sides and do whatever possible to keep it at 130 lbs

Back