Best Wetsuit?

sailyor

I know it is still summer, but I want to be ready this year when it gets a little colder :)

So, what are the some of the best wetsuits to wear for Sunfish sailing? Preferably under $200, and it's not for anything extreme.

-Sailyor

I know it is still summer, but I want to be ready this year when it gets a little colder :)

So, what are the some of the best wetsuits to wear for Sunfish sailing? Preferably under $200, and it's not for anything extreme.
What's your the definition of "Best" for your sailing?
  • Warmth (what sort of air & water temps)
  • Durability
  • Flexibility
  • Full or Farmer John
  • etc . . .

wetsuit.jpg

Never fart in a wetsuit

Hahaha...Great picture!

Warmth - air temps. as low as 15 and water temps as low as 40.
It doesn't have to be the most flexible suit in the world, but I want it to hold up, so fairly durable. I know that's vague but I don't know anything about wetsuits...
I would prefer full, but farmer john would be fine.

Thanks for helping out with this!

with those temps you may be better served (and not hypothermic) with a drysuit with layers underneath adjusted accordingly. downside = $$$$$$$$$

Hahaha...Great picture!

It doesn't have to be the most flexible suit in the world, but I want it to hold up, so fairly durable. I know that's vague but I don't know anything about wetsuits...
I would prefer full, but farmer john would be fine.

Thanks for helping out with this!

try a BOZ wetsuit
http://www.bozwetsuits.com/springsuits.htm#
cheap and durable

your best option if you don't want to buy a zhik wetsuit for 400 bucks

Your criteria is getting into the area of hard core frostbite sailing temps.

A farmer john with a fleece jacket and poly-pro tights will take you into 50s - 60s air, 50s - 60s water. Beyond that you're looking at full wet suit and for your 15/40 a full dry suit. I think your budget will allow you a little extra early and late season sailing, but not frostbiting.

Take a look at frostbite sailing liks on the Sunfish Class web page and Google up frostbite sailing. Read through the clothing recommendations by some of the sailing clubs.

Thanks for the input everyone. Matias, I will definitely consider the BOZ wetsuit.

I just came across this Gill wetsuit. What do you guys think about it? (The "short arm")

http://www.apsltd.com/c-6314-wet-suits.aspx

I bought a shorty wetsuit (short arms, short legs) at Costco - on sale, with shipping for only $40. I think Costco sells a full wetsuit, too, for about $ 75. They might not be quite as good as the Gill ones, but can be had for a significantly lower price. I love the shorty one I bought. In fact, I just bought one for my wife as well.

The Costco ones might not be good enough for the really cold temperatures, but the specs seemed comparable to the Gill suit you linked to. As Wayne said, it won't get you to frostbiting, but will lengthen your season some in the spring and fall.

cheers,
tag

Thanks again for the input guys. Now I have some time to think about the different options :)

Tag, I just subscribed to your blog, just wanted to let you know that I really like it.

most of my family/friends already think I'm a little weird wearing a wetsuit (by far the tightest article of clothing I've worn in my life)... if I tried to wear Nightsailor's suggestion, I'm pretty sure they would disown me. :eek:

Reasonable Wet Suit for early fall was Re: Best Wetsuit?

I've been looking over the forum comments on wetsuits, looking for information that will help me.

I don't own one and have never had one. I don't even know if you're supposed to wear your birthday suit, swimsuit, or jammies beneath them.

I live in MA close to the NH border and thus far only sail SF and other wet boats in local ponds or "lakes." In summer I usually wear cut-off, sleeveless shirt over swim suit. Sneakers or boat sandals.

Cool temps look like they will be around to stay until it gets to be actual fall. I'd guess the temp of the water at the local pond is maybe 64 or 66. I have a chance to be a wetsuit for $38 that is a full one, perhaps a few inches too long, with a zipper in front. Unused. I have sneaker boat shoes and wool socks ;) a polarfleece hat. I'd like to be able to flex a little and not succumb to hypothermia before I get to shore or right the boat. Not looking for fashion. Willing to compromise a bit on comfort. I would wear a PFD over it.

Think this will let me sail the SF or Zuma into if not through October? I don't *plan* on getting more than my butt and feet wet, but, in the event I did, would something like this
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40332?from=SR&feat=sr#ppMoreDetails keep me from sputtering to a cold demise before I could get back onboard? Alternatively, I could just don warm clothes. I don't plan to be sailing when there is ice on the pond.

I don't mind being a bit cold or sogged. Thanks

Re: Reasonable Wet Suit for early fall was Re: Best Wetsuit?

I don't own one and have never had one. I don't even know if you're supposed to wear your birthday suit, swimsuit, or jammies beneath them.

I don't know official protocol - this spring I picked up a pair of black biker-style tight shorts to wear underneath. for a woman, I would think a swimsuit would work. I just didn't like changing into the wetsuit in a parking lot wearing just tighty-whities, and wasn't too keen on buying a Speedo-style swimsuit.

for a full-length wetsuit, you might consider this one from Costco.com - it looks similar to the LL Bean version (3mm and 2mm neoprene), but is a bit cheaper ($75 shipped).
being only the 3/2mm neoprene, it will help keep you warm(er), but I'm not sure how long that will extend your sailing season... maybe others can chime in on that.

cheers,
tag

Probably not protocol but I've been wearing regular underwear under my shorty, probably nothing is best but I have visions of a blow out and don't want to deal with that. :eek:

I have a speedo shorty similar to the ones at Costco. I tried on one of the full length versions and they were too tight for my calves. If your body style is anything but average you might not fit.

Probably not protocol but I've been wearing regular underwear under my shorty, probably nothing is best but I have visions of a blow out and don't want to deal with that. :eek:

I too didn't want to go all-natural under the wetsuit, and I wore the regular undies at first, but didn't like changing in and out of the wetsuit in a parking lot with just those on. the black biker shorts work well for me.

I trailer-sail a lot, though - if you're sailing from a cottage on the lake or something where you can change more discretely, then anything goes!

cheers,
tag

Back