best way to set SS Rivets?

AJC6882

I installed some cleats in my lower spar for my cunningham and outhaul and wanted to know what everyone else had used to set these super strong Stainless steel rivets. I practically broke my rivet tool installing these clam cleats. Any help would be appreciated. I have another spar set I want to add cleats to and I dont want to break another rivet tool trying to install the rivets.

- with one of these

66422.gif

Harbor Freight - $15
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66422

Try aluminum rivets, stainless has a way of welding itself to aluminum (electrolysis). Aluminum rivets are easier to set as well.

I used screws to fasten these cleats, set in silicone sealant. No problems after three years.

Don't even think about Stainless Steel...Bad Idea!

I installed some cleats in my lower spar for my cunningham and outhaul and wanted to know what everyone else had used to set these super strong Stainless steel rivets. I practically broke my rivet tool installing these clam cleats. Any help would be appreciated. I have another spar set I want to add cleats to and I dont want to break another rivet tool trying to install the rivets.

Stainless Steel and Aluminum do not mix. It will cause corrosion. Use Aluminum rivets. And inspect these. I have replaced a few that looked a bit tired. I've only had rivets fail on an old boom with old fittings, in heavy conditions. I now have that boat set up with double rivet eyes (4 rivets) per each boom block padeye. I can't seem to find these locally. I'd replace all my boom padeyes if I could.

For you application, are you using 3/16 rivets? Those are super strong. Aluminum is fine for that. I would not consider stainless steel on an aluminum spar. I have nothing but bad memories with drilling out old stainless parts on aluminum masts. I'll be doing it again this year with about 12 holes each per 6 or 8 exit blocks on my mast--probably 100 holes I'll have to drill out. If these were rivets, I could do the whole job in 15 minutes. As it is, it will probably take me days to remove them all, possibly ruining my exit blocks in the process. I will replace them all with aluminum rivets.

I think you will find you spend more time mucking around with the Cunningham and Outhaul and it won't make much difference to your actually speed. If anything it will slow you down, when things pop out of place. I have one of my four boats set up that way, and I'm not in a rush to do the other boats.

Night Sailor, can you share your source for double rivet eyes. I've just started sailing but already see that seems to be the weak link. Thank you.

Night Sailor, can you share your source for double rivet eyes. I've just started sailing but already see that seems to be the weak link. Thank you.

I bought them at Lowes--the ones I use for the mast. The others I bought at Home Depot in a kit, mixed, steel, stainless and aluminum

I made a mistake and replied to the post thinking it was another thread. I would never use Aluminum rivets on a boom. I use Stainless Steel 1/8 rivets for bails. If I can find them, I use the type of bail with two rivets on each side--4four (4) per bail. Otherwise, if they look even slightly weak, I drill them out and replace them.

By the way, as a back up, some light spectra line wrapped around the boom and the eye of your block--if you have an opening there, or wherever else handy, serves as a backup in case a rivet rips out.

Back