best way to get rid of chapped/sunburnt lips

PressureDropBG

After a 3 day Junior Olympic regatta this past weekend, my lips are fried! They have swollen up and torn up, do any of you guys (and girls) know what the best ointment is for this? or the best way to get rid of the pain?... thanks alot!

Brendan

PressureDropBG said:
the best ointment is for this? or the best way to get rid of the pain
Brendan

Well, I don't know of a specific product, but I'd look for some lip balm with aloe in it. Make sure the balm is thick like chapstick. You might find the right thing at a health food store. Another maybe better choice is to spread aloe juice on it, then put on chapstick. If the pain is very bad, take your painkiller of choice. The good news, it will heal fast, especially if you keep the balm on it.

Merrily

Does anyone know anything about Zinc Oxide, the stuff that guys slather their noses with that makes them look super cool? I can never find it straight, its always mixed in with aloe, or sunscreen.

Glen said:
I can never find it straight, its always mixed in with aloe, or sunscreen.

Look in the baby section at the grocery or pharmacy. Straight is used for diaper rash.

Merrily

Glen said:
Does anyone know anything about Zinc Oxide, the stuff that guys slather their noses with that makes them look super cool? I can never find it straight, its always mixed in with aloe, or sunscreen.

I use this stuff called Zinka-- you can get it online in yes, white, but also pink and blue and any other color. I also use this clear zinc stuff i found at a grocery store that seems to work just as well and, of course, it's not colored.

There are brands of lip balms out there with sun screen in, ( cant think of the name at the moment:confused: ,) hoowever use them cautiously as they can leave you with a weird white patch around your lips when the skin all around has been tanned/burnt.:eek:
In my experience "Carmex" is the best product for chapped lips, put it on and youll be out of your pain in 5 minutes:)

LPW said:
There are brands of lip balms out there with sun screen in, ( cant think of the name at the moment:confused: ,) hoowever use them cautiously as they can leave you with a weird white patch around your lips when the skin all around has been tanned/burnt.:eek:
In my experience "Carmex" is the best product for chapped lips, put it on and youll be out of your pain in 5 minutes:)

"Burt's Bees Lifeguard's Choice" is one of the ones with sunscreen.

Brendan, Glen, and all: re sun-injured lips, please don't forget the point of all this, which is to protect from recurrent, habitual sun injury as best you can (hats and sunscreens/lip balms with SPF 15+ UV screens or blocks--a block being zinc oxide....). Take it from this ol' retired dermatologist: taking care of your "cowboy's lip" when you are 50+ will submit you to procedures you can best do without.

Mike Eichwald
Laser GGM 161089'

Back