best way to fix the top of the mast step hole?

Mashmaster

After each day of racing my son's laser would end up with about a quart of water in the hull. We finally think we tracked it down. The bubble test showed bubble at the top of the mast cup right at the seam between the deck and the cup on one side. not a huge leak but we want to take care of it. Is the best way to grind it and re-fiberglass that area and gel coat it?

Is the best way to grind it and re-fiberglass that area and gel coat it?
In short, yes. Would be best to do it from the inside though, but I wouldn't bother installing an inspection port just because of this. Opinions may differ on this :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's actually no "seam" at that point - the mast step is an integral part of the deck and attaches to the hull at the bottom. But of course there are point loads at the edge, which may cause cracks like that.

_

In short, yes. Would be best to do it from the inside though, but I wouldn't bother installing an inspection port just because of this. Opinions may differ on this :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's actually no "seam" at that point - the mast step is an integral part of the deck and attaches to the hull at the bottom. But of course there are point loads at the edge, which may cause cracks like that.

_
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. He just finished a full year of hard racing with a bunch of races in the gulf so the boat had lots of stresses.

PXL_20211124_171113062.jpg

Fiberglass laid down, needs to be sanded.

Looks good. The vertical cracks (only in the gelcoat, I understand) makes me think that spot received some kind of hit at some point. Nothing on the other (starboard) side?

Gotta love it when a 17 year old does all his own repair work :)
I was 16 when I first fitted out a boat (a Europe dinghy) from scratch. Made of course numerous elementary mistakes... but that's how you learn :)

_

No comment. Nobody want an inspection hole in the sandwich.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_152128.jpg
    IMG_20220127_152128.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 56

Back