Best way to drill holes for a block

adtamari

Just bought my first sunfish. It’s the old style with the hook and no block. I want to install a block . Looking for tips on making holes to instal block and hardware. I am worried about damaging the fiberglass
Any advice on what type of bit to use etc

Any decent drill bits will work fine as fiberglass is relatively soft and takes tools well. Position your deck eye in the desired location on the deck and drill your first hole. Then bolt the eye wih a proper size stainless round head machine screw with washer and lock nut and drill the second hole using the second deck eye hole as a template to get an exact fit.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Any decent drill bits will work fine as fiberglass is relatively soft and takes tools well. Position your deck eye in the desired location on the deck and drill your first hole. Then bolt the eye wih a proper size stainless round head machine screw with washer and lock nut and drill the second hole using the second deck eye hole as a template to get an exact fit.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Thank you

I want to install a block . Looking for tips on making holes to install block and hardware. I am worried about damaging the fiberglass
Any advice on what type of bit to use etc.
Cautioning, as "hardware" could include sheet-metal screws, which are likely to (eventually) pull out. :confused:

Does "hardware" include a swivel with cam cleat?

I was thinking of installing a eye strap with bolts locking washer and nuts
Ratchet block and shackle with a pin
Forgive my lack of proper terms

You'll want a "stand-up" spring--and three cable-ties. (Zip-ties)
In case your wondering about the zip ties... they are a means to the end, Tag provides great details about how to install a ratchet block in his my2fish blog. I’ve provided the link here. Note that he is installing the ratchet block on a minifish, which is more complicated than what you’ll be doing on the sunfish, but much of the instruction applies.

Reactions: tag

Back