Best Way To Carry Drinking Water

A bit different idea is the use of a pvc winch handle holder. I do no like drilling holes in any boat so this is what I did. Secured the holder to a piece of aluminium with enough al sticking out the side to go under the aft hiking bracket. Slide it under the strap bracket and replace the screws that hold the aft hicking strap. Throw away water bottles never fall out.

It is a club rule that buoyancy aids must be worn at my club. I bought an aid with a 2 litre camel pack in the back, absolutely invaluable.

It is a club rule that buoyancy aids must be worn at my club. I bought an aid with a 2 litre camel pack in the back, absolutely invaluable.
I have read that camel packs/backs are illegal for racing.
This is not a Laser class rule; it applies to all classes

I have read that camel packs/backs are illegal for racing.
This is not a Laser class rule; it applies to all classes

Rule 43.1 (a) - Competitors shall not wear or carry clothing or equipment for the purpose of increasing their weight.

This goes back many years when they first banned weight jackets with water ballast. Even though the purpose of the Camelback is hydration, it was felt that it was essentially doing the same thing as water ballast.

The original post doesn't mention racing though :)
They were banned effectively when weight jackets were banned specifically because weight jackets were causing large numbers of back injuries. So be careful.

I just bought two of these (from Office Depot ~$3 each). -- Ed
41fTFmIkVkL._SY300_.jpg

Small half litre bottle of water, stuffed between chest and buoyancy aid - legal, doesn't pop out, can get to it without fuss.
Bottle cages are illegal for racing, drilling holes and adding line to grab rail is illegal for racing, any modification to the hull or additional line is illegit.

Small half litre bottle of water, stuffed between chest and buoyancy aid - legal, doesn't pop out, can get to it without fuss.
Illegal actually, it's considered to be a weight jacket.

Bottle cages are illegal for racing, drilling holes and adding line to grab rail is illegal for racing, any modification to the hull or additional line is illegit.
Bottle cages last time I checked were legal depending how it's attached. Clips & ties are legal, but you'll need to get confirmation from Jean Luc about drilling holes anywhere in the cockpit as rule 21 doesn't mention how clips, ties and bags are attached.

I really don't know what all the fuss is about over drink bottles. Find a drink bottle with a neck on it, tie shock cord on the neck with a plastic clip on the neck (I pass the shock cord twice through the eye of the clip and use a double or triple fisherman's knot. Hook clip onto shock cord lifting the hiking strap on the back of the cockpit. The alternate is to using the traveller fairleads, tie shock cord to one and run the shock cord through the other and back to the cockpit and tie the drink bottle on the end, this method involves no clips and the bottle can be just dropped back into the cockpit and the tension in the shock cord will keep it there.

I find it completely amazing that all the people doing major regattas have really simple and legal set ups, but so many others can't achieve this and need Bottle Ports (illegal), Camel Backs (illegal), bike cages and other more complex and usually illegal set ups.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 109
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    808.2 KB · Views: 97
All,
I'll preface this question with a warning story of what can happen if you don't do the right thing by your body!

I recently ended up in Emergency with disorientation and memory loss. I had done a lot that day, a bike ride plus 5 short couse races. I did not have much to eat and very little to drink. The general opinion of the medicos that it was an episode brought on by obviously doing too much and not eating/drinking enough. It was a worring time for my wife as she didn't know whether I had had a stroke or not.

Now I am trying to carry a bottle of water on the boat but not having much luck finding a good solution to where to put it. I have it tied up with a short piece of rope at the back of the cockpit but aftyer a capsize yeaterday it got wound around the tiller and a nice loop around the traveller blocks (Arggghh...)

I was thinking that I could use a bicycle bottle holder screwed or velcroed to the back of the cockpit.

I had a search throug the forum and some people use an elasticised bag attached at the front.

Is there a preferred solution? What do the top sailors do?

Thanks Ian

i use 2 elastic 4ml round the front of bottom half ant tie a string to the vang

I really don't know what all the fuss is about over drink bottles. Find a drink bottle with a neck on it, tie shock cord on the neck with a plastic clip on the neck (I pass the shock cord twice through the eye of the clip and use a double or triple fisherman's knot. Hook clip onto shock cord lifting the hiking strap on the back of the cockpit. The alternate is to using the traveller fairleads, tie shock cord to one and run the shock cord through the other and back to the cockpit and tie the drink bottle on the end, this method involves no clips and the bottle can be just dropped back into the cockpit and the tension in the shock cord will keep it there.
If I understand you correctly, you are advocating changing/altering the function of the shock cord which is used to lift the hiking strap? The same goes for the traveler fairleads. Sounds seriously illegal to me.

If I understand you correctly, you are advocating changing/altering the function of the shock cord which is used to lift the hiking strap? The same goes for the traveler fairleads. Sounds seriously illegal to me.
It's permitted according to Rule 21.
Try again!

Further, can you point out which rule and part there of, prevents the hiking strap shock cord being used in such a manner? On the other hand, I probably agree that it should be illegal to use traveller fairleads, but not for the same reason why you might consider the hiking strap shock cord is illegal.

Violates fundemental rule as it is an alteration of the function of the hiking strap shock cord. it you allow that, then attaching something to the grab rail to hold water (i.e. a pice of line or cord) would be allwed. Can't have it both ways.

I suggest you actually read the rule.

FUNDAMENTAL RULE

The Laser shall be raced in accordance with these
rules, with only the hull, equipment, fittings, spars,
sail and battens manufactured by a licensed builder
in accordance with the Laser design specification
(known as the Construction Manual) which is
registered with ISAF.

No addition or alteration may be made to the hull
form, construction, equipment, type of equipment,
placing of equipment, fittings, type of fittings, placing
of fittings, spars, sail and battens as supplied by the
builder except when such an alteration or change
is specifically authorised by Parts 2 or 3 of these
Rules.

Firstly, there is no mention of altering the function of something in the fundamental rule.

Secondly, the shock cord is not modified (arguably it's not even a piece of equipment). Attaching a piece of string, by drilling holes in the grab rail, definitely modifies the grab rail.

I do wish people would bother reading the rules and the interpretation available on the ILCA website, rather than making assumptions about the rules based upon what they think the rules say.

Back