Best sail tape?

po-man sailor

Hey guys I almost hate to ask this but I know nothing about it and have never used it.

Suggestions for the best quality most reasonably priced white sail tape. It will be folded over the edge of my sail to repair gromets. I have 3 pull-outs. I probably won't need much. You know best. Thanks

Thanks luke, I just looked it up. I was hoping to find a more economical way to get the job done. The tape is $15 and flat rate shipping is $15. Then I have to get gromets and a tool. By then it looks like I'm well on my way to the price of $119. sail from insanity. My budget is swelling already for this boat and I have 11 others of varying types. Thought I might find it on amazon and free ship from prime.

po-man,

I agree that the Bainbridge sail repair tape is good stuff but expensive. Plan B: Find a sailmaker in your area who might give or sell you some scraps for the self adhesive material they use to reinforce the corners of the sails they make or repair. Years ago a sailmaker friend of mine, gave me a bunch of scraps and I used them for years until I ran out.

Alan Glos.

I think this is being way overthought. There just isn’t that much tension on any given grommet except way up toward the head and by the clew. I’d get something like this with brass grommets https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-100-Pack-0-1563-in-Brass-Steel-Grommet-Kit/1000207905 and use plain cloth and a sewing machine as another poster said, or find a scrap of sail tape or someone with a spare sail number to cut up. You should stitch it anyway, so plain cloth should be fine. And you probably don’t need a grommet tool - I bet creative use of a hammer will get it done.

Even if you are fixing a highly tensioned grommet it’ll probably last even with Lowe’s grommets. Try to do this for no more than $10 or $15. If that doesn’t last then call Intensity.

If you were fixing a sail on a Lightning or J24 you were racing in Nationals it would be worth spending some money, but this can be solved for less $$.

Thanks Alan. I just got on the interweb and did a search for sail repair. I'm in panama city FL. Turns out the old sail and canvas place I dealt with back in 1976 is still in business. I thought they were long gone years ago. They moved closer to the air base and water. I called and they will take care of me on the cheap. I used to do business with them back in the day with my little fleet of rental fish. Seems things are coming full circle. Found a 76 boat like I had back then, now reconnected with my original sail loft and parts house. A good day.

Thanks beldar. That's the info I was looking for. I like things that first work and hold up then are cheap and then cosmetically dont look like a wart on my nose. Lol
I think your suggestion can be done and meet those requirements. Especially with help from my re connection. They will get me some scraps no problem.

Sail repair tape is strong, light, and can have other uses—like convertible top repair.

I seem to rip through Band-Aids. A gauze pad held on by waterproof sail-repair tape would last a very long time. :cool:

It takes years, but the adhesive loses strength during storage. All is not lost, as the Dacron material can still be stitched. Use a special thread against UV degradation—not cotton nor silk.

Home sewing machines aren't accustomed to sail repair, so when stitching through new and secured dry tape, spray the area ahead of the needle (and the tensioner) with WD-40. :oops:

Is a West Marine store any closer? (No shipping charge).

Thanks luke, I just looked it up. I was hoping to find a more economical way to get the job done. The tape is $15 and flat rate shipping is $15. Then I have to get gromets and a tool. By then it looks like I'm well on my way to the price of $119. sail from insanity. My budget is swelling already for this boat and I have 11 others of varying types. Thought I might find it on amazon and free ship from prime.
While there are times we are "at the end of our rope", I think you meant, "$119 sail from Intensity". ;)

Reactions: tag
po-man,

I agree that the Bainbridge sail repair tape is good stuff but expensive. Plan B: Find a sailmaker in your area who might give or sell you some scraps for the self adhesive material they use to reinforce the corners of the sails they make or repair. Years ago a sailmaker friend of mine, gave me a bunch of scraps and I used them for years until I ran out.

Alan Glos.
that's what I would do

If folks are wondering about all this sail repair talk, it's not just about grommets and accidental punctures. Most of my sail repairs with tape is due to temporary home-making by rodents! :eek:

Another disaster was my own fault. My sail was securely flaked on its spars, but left downwind from a fire pit. :(

Aside from that unforeseen wreck, store your sails away from critters. I've got four sails stored in a 24-foot enclosed car trailer. Each is fully opened on their spars--suspended in air. (Not rolled or folded in any manner). I recommend fully opened, or remove the sail for the season, and keep it in your living quarters--maybe even the sock drawer! :confused:

Back