Best/safest way to clean a rust stain?

tcwings20

Hi I've had my boat for a little while now and I can't help but notice that there is a large probably 4ft long 1ft wide rust stain running through my sail. Now this isn't a new sail by any means but I would still like it to be all off-white and not part red. So any advice on how to clean this off without damaging the sail would be greatly appericiated. Thanks.

Ok so maybe its not 1ft wide but here's a picture.

Attachments

• GOPR0357.JPG
    GOPR0357.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
Get some oxalic acid (crystals) from a woodworkers supply shop. Make a strong solution (eg. 1/4 cup in a pint of water). Paint or dab it onto the rust stains and wait about 20 minutes. Then rinse well with water.

I must caution you when using any chemicals, that you should wear eye protection and disposable gloves. However, oxalic acid is rather safe to use; much unlike muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. FYI, it is actually the reducing agent property that does the job, not the acidic property. The iron in rust is in an oxidized form -- oxalic acid reacts with this to reduce it to a colorless substance. It doesn't actually remove the iron -- the rinsing does that!

Yes, I was a chemistry prof! -- retired now.

-- Ed

hey tcwings20, you coould try some CLR (clacium-lime-rust remover) from the gocery store (houshold cleaning items).
I once used a spray bottle with diluted clorox to get some stains off a Hobie tramp- worked great. Just do it where there's
a hose (running water) close by- you don't want to leave the chemical on too long. If you see that the stain is not getting
lighter and cleaning off- spray the chemical off soon.

My biggest concern for this is that it won't hurt the sail. I'm sure if I left any chemical on there for a while it would hurt it but if I get the stuff off fast enough it won't make a difference right?

Oxalic acid would be much better than the phosphoric acid based rust removers. I have used oxalic acid on rust stains left on shower curtains -- the water-based acid contains no solvent that will dissolve dacron and/or plastic coatings. You really should test a very small corner first; just remember that it takes time (around 20 minutes to "clean" the rust stain), and then rinse with lots of clean water. I'd recommend doing this whole process on a concrete driveway with a hose.

-- Ed

Bleach sets the rust stain .... avoid at all costs .... listen to the chem prof!

Also lemon juice and salt is an old harmless possibility.

go sailing!! Nobody cares about the stain. Use the funds to buy food and drink and the time to sail with friends.

Back