Best Place to order sails

Steven

Where in the US is the best place to order sails from. Is there any competitive prices or are they held firm by the Vanguard monopoly/cartel so that every dealer sells at the same rate.

Here in Canada one is screwed because at $650 + 15% taxes makes it an expensive venture.

I am only looking for a class legal sail.

Finally, North or Hyde?

dude, check out my post in the class rules section ("new laser sail"). I went with north and after one season it feels just like any other sail, not good. If you want one from the states I highly recommend APS sailing APS sailing

I would buy from Colie Sails in NJ as they install the numbers (APS includes but does not install) - same price.

Colie Sails Laser web page

There are other threads on the Hyde/North debate, search and you'll see what others have had to say

This Hyde vs North thing:

While one of the threads had someone from Vanguard state that they are equal...I was recently participating in the Canadian Master Championships and all the top guys were using Hyde. I spoke to Peter Seidenberg and he said that he felt that the Hyde were better, last longer and the material felt different. He also notices less leach flutter with the Hyde. And this is coming from a top world wide ranked Laser sailor

Maybe with the extra couple of dollars difference you get a better product...at least you know it is not made in some sweat shop possibly employing child labour

Steven said:
This Hyde vs North thing:

While one of the threads had someone from Vanguard state that they are equal...I was recently participating in the Canadian Master Championships and all the top guys were using Hyde. I spoke to Peter Seidenberg and he said that he felt that the Hyde were better, last longer and the material felt different. He also notices less leach flutter with the Hyde. And this is coming from a top world wide ranked Laser sailor

Maybe with the extra couple of dollars difference you get a better product...at least you know it is not made in some sweat shop possibly employing child labour

According to what I have heard Hyde make their sails in China now. A friend of mine who repairs sails reckons they cost no more than £75 ($150) to make, so someone is making a huge profit.

sailordude said:
everything sailing go to www.apsltd.com first! then go to the north sails web site or look for a used one at the www.laser.org if you want one cheap.
You can't buy the sails directly from North Sails, and you won't find them on their web site. You need to buy new sails from an authorized Laser dealer.

Why would you want to pay the same amount at APS and then have to install the numbers yourself ?

sry i thought you could get them i just look at them from north like prices and stuff. well i guess your right to i would go to hi tempo but aps does have everything.

Back