Best Parts Source?

barnacle bobert

Hello, All:

I live in southern NH and recently acquired a ~1972 sunfish. It needs a new sail and perhaps a few other parts. Any recommendations (reliability, price, integrity) as to best parts vendors/sources? Torreson in Michigan comes to mind; was wondering if there was anything closer. Thanks!

Hello, All:

I live in southern NH and recently acquired a ~1972 sunfish. It needs a new sail and perhaps a few other parts. Any recommendations (reliability, price, integrity) as to best parts vendors/sources? Torreson in Michigan comes to mind; was wondering if there was anything closer. Thanks!

Although not any closer, Sailsport Marine in Traverse City Michigan is a great shop to deal with. They can be found on the web or contacted via telephone. I've made many purchases from Sailsport (Scott Wilson) including a new fish, always a great price and sevice.

Intensity has the best prices I've seen online. And shipped my order of small stuff free. I think they charge shipping for oversized stuff.

Aps has everything you could ever need, but a little more expensive and they charge shipping.

Being in the northeast, I'd try your local sailing/boat shop since yall actually have those up there. here in the middle of Texas we have one boat shop with nothing for sailboats.

If you feel like taking a ride to Gilford. Faye's Boat Yard is a Sunfish dealer. The person that runs the Ship's Store know a lot about Sunfish.

I just fully restored a '76 Sunfish with all new everything. I got everything from Intensity and am happy with the prices.

I'd suggest skipping their "quick clamp" bicycle seat clamp they suggest for the brass mast ring. The post is too thick a diameter for my boat. I don't know if the later model fish have a wider screw or what, but I can tell you definitively it doesn't work on mine, or the one on my '69 Dolphin.

The intensity practice sail is amazing and a great price though. My gf and I sailed my fish's maiden voyage yesterday, and smoked a bunch of Pico's that were racing. We passed them on the outside of the course like they were parked. Great sail.

Also, the JC strap they sell is worth it's weight in gold. You can make your own from shock cord, but it's inexpensive and "just works" from Intensity. It holds the dagger board in place at half up/down so you can still get upwind when in six to eight inches of water when launching. Brilliant. Also, you can pull it up and it stays in place if you're on a straight downwind run.

I think their prices on cleats is a little high though. I got some from West marine for a couple bucks.

Back