Best new boat selection in Central Florida?

JasonG

I'm located on the east coast of central Florida and would like to find the best resource(s) for buying and learning about new Lasers and Sunfish in my area. I'm looking for a large selection to compare and contrast the different models and options. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If listing specific retailer names would be viewed as too spammy on the forum then PMs would be welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance, Jason

Specifically what are the top 5-10 best selling models on the market? What percentage (ballpark) of boats sold will be used for racing as opposed to simple recreational use? Who in the central Florida area has the largest selection because once I narrow the models down I would like to be able to physically see some of these boats and make mylar templates of particular deck areas

I have an aftermarket product that might not be suitable for official racing models but would be a great fit for recreational boats. The Sunfish, Lasers and Js are of the most interest to me because of their small size, simplicity, popularity and large numbers produced. Also, as a child I learned to sail on a Sunfish and remember how much fun they were. I loved how you could really feel them respond so well even in a light wind. Lots of great memories.

Specifically what are the top 5-10 best selling models on the market? What percentage (ballpark) of boats sold will be used for racing as opposed to simple recreational use? Who in the central Florida area has the largest selection because once I narrow the models down I would like to be able to physically see some of these boats and make mylar templates of particular deck areas

I have an aftermarket product that might not be suitable for official racing models but would be a great fit for recreational boats. The Sunfish, Lasers and Js are of the most interest to me because of their small size, simplicity, popularity and large numbers produced. Also, as a child I learned to sail on a Sunfish and remember how much fun they were. I loved how you could really feel them respond so well even in a light wind. Lots of great memories.

Do yourself a favor and take a drive over to St Pete. Be suitably respectful -maybe ease into it - and ask your questions of probably the most accomplished and knowledgable dealer in the state - and 2007 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year - at his place of business (google something along the lines of Masthead). Besides being able to answer all the questions you've asked so far, he can probably drop a hint as to whether your invention or whatever it is has merit, and a likely market - he'll know. He's seen it all, and knows all, at least when it comes to small-boat sailing. I'd do that right off - but perhaps check into his regatta schedule.

Thanks minifish2. I will make a trip over to St. Pete in the near future.

Oh-oh. Now that I've posted that I'm reading elsewhere that the particular sailor I was referring to might not still be there now - but I'm not sure. But even if he's not they still should be worth a call and checking out.

Jason:

The Laser is strict one-design. Hence, the hull hasn't changed in all those years. There are three rigs, commonly referred to as the 4.7 (smallest sail area), Radial and Full-Fig (largest sail area). There a few other options as far as rigging the boat is concerned, but that shouldn't matter to you if I understand what you are after.

The Sunfish is one-design as well, but there have been some hull refinements over the years. For a timeline on all of these, use the following link:

http://kb.sunfishforum.com/images/history/timeline.pdf

Thanks for all the input guys. I just templated a 2008 Laser Race and a 1998 Sunfish. Do you think I will find that most Sunfish have the exact same layout and dimensions from year to year or will they vary quite a bit?

Ah, thanks Wavedancer. Missed that. Appears that the last modification to the general layout was in 1987 when they enlarged the footwell. That's very helpful.

Back