Best location of trailer bunks for a 'fish?

Thread starter #1
Some years ago when I first got a Sunfish I read somewhere that the best locations for the two rear supporting bunks on a trailer are near the outer edges of the hull. A friend of mine recently was told by a sail boat shop where she bought a trailer that the bunks should be centered on each side between the keel and the outer edge of the hull. Any opinions on which is better and why?

Fred

Fred,
Do a search of this forum for "trailer" and you will have about 8 or 9 entries to check, many with some valuable tips on trailering. At the moment, I roof top, but have trailered. Many sailors haul their fish deck down to protect the hull bottom. Page 33 in the SF Bible starts a talk on transportation of your SF, pg 253 talks about roof topping with hints. Another Sunfish sailor added a second set of bunks forward near the mast step, I forget where I saw the photo. Make your bunks as large as you feel practical, 2x6's instead of 2x4's (the larger the better to spread the pressure over a larger area). A fully supported hull would be best but not really practical. Good Luck.