Best Life Jacket?

I personally love the Lotus Lola. It is a great life jacket, and fits very well due to the 7 points of adjustment on it. One on each shoulder, two on each side, and one for the neoprene part at the bottom to keep it from riding up. I used to have the extrasport pullover, which I didn't like because it was a pain for me to put on and take off, and it got hot, because you couldn't unzip it to cool off. I solved the problem of the shoulder straps getting caught with a little black electric tape, its hardly even noticable. You can get the Lola from APS for about 100 dollars.

Lola at APS

i would have to put in my two cents on just about any SALUS lifejacket. It is a one man company, located in Kitchener on Duke Street. There is the website to look at the different kinds. I wear the Kiwi, but the most popular is the Abacus. They are both comfortable. The abacus has a side zipper and the kiwi has a front zipper.
www.salusmarine.com

Without a doubt, the Salus Abacus is the most comfortable, least restricting and best made one out there. Cheapest I've seen is at www.binacle.com sells for $99US. The Salus Kiwi is perfered by women where as guys would be the Abacus

hey Steven,
Where is there a Binnacle in canada? or is it just a US store? I dont mind having to order things if its cheaper. Saves me a trip to Toronto to Fogh Marine.(which i have gone there 4 times in one week at an 1 1/2 hours away)

I have an Extrasport Pull-over Life-jacket. IT is amazing. I'm not sure of the model name, or if they make it anymore, but it goives a great amount of flotation. I'm about 190, and it is great. It stays pretty high above the waistline for great mobility and the shoulder straps are neoprene. It is the most comfortable lifejacket I've ever worn. It also keeps you very warm when you tighten it. I would recommend this life-jacket to anyone in the market for one. It also gives good protection from things like the boom and skippers fists in multihanded boats such as Narrasketucks. :)
Here is a very similar PFD
Extrasport Stiletto PFDs user reviews : 4.3 out of 5 - 0 reviews - outdoorreview.com
Hi, I was wondering if you would be interested in selling this lifejacket. Please reply back if you are! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob B

Zhik CE approved PFD. Low profile makes it easier for us larger people to get under the boom and get back in the boat after capsize. It floats you very well also. However, if you are sailing in the US and the GC stops you and checks the PFD it is not GC approved and you'll get a fine. Some NOR's SI's at events specify "government approved" pdf's must be worn. Every regatta I go to many wear the low profile PFD's. No one wants to be the person to file a protest over a PFD. Although they would be in their rights to do so.

Zhik did just release a CG approved PFD. I have not tried one on yet, but it looks a little thicker than the CE approved one.

Zhik CE approved PFD. Low profile makes it easier for us larger people to get under the boom and get back in the boat after capsize. It floats you very well also. However, if you are sailing in the US and the GC stops you and checks the PFD it is not GC approved and you'll get a fine. Some NOR's SI's at events specify "government approved" pdf's must be worn. Every regatta I go to many wear the low profile PFD's. No one wants to be the person to file a protest over a PFD. Although they would be in their rights to do so.

Zhik did just release a CG approved PFD. I have not tried one on yet, but it looks a little thicker than the CE approved one.
I used on of the zhik CG pfds this weekend. Nice fit low profile but tends to ride up when in the water. I’ll wear a bib over it next time.

It also gives good protection from things like the boom and skippers fists in multihanded boats such as Narrasketucks. :)
Haha, that is hilarious!!! Also works against brass knuckles!!! :confused:

Hey, 420ShelterIsland, you born in Dago? I don't suppose you're close enough to Humphrey's to hear the concerts for free? I used to go over there and hang out aboard a friend's boat just to hear the concerts... walk down to that elbow in the dock closest to the stage along with the rest of the freeloading cheapskates, LOL. :rolleyes:

Rob B

Wow. My first pair of lightweight booties from Zhik lasted about a year. They sent me a new pair for free. Since then all of my Zhik gear, (boots, top, bottoms, life jacket, power pads) have lasted years with minimal wear. I sail in a salt water environment and rinse/dry my gear after every use. I also do not dry it out in the sun. Hang dry in the house. UV will cause more damage than anything else.